• Page:

TOPIC:

CJ Groenewald, Koedoesrand, 1901 2 years 7 months ago #78423

• Annelien
  • Annelien's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning! I'm new to the group/site.
We found an interesting rock with engraving on, on our farm in the Boshof district that we think might be from the war.
George de Villebois-Mareuil (22 March 1847, in Montaigu, Brittany, France – 6 April 1900, in Boshof, Orange Free State, South Africa) died in a battle not far from our farm. A monument was later erected on the Farm Middelkuil, ten kilometres East of Boshof, where the battle took place, to commemorate George de Villebois-Mareuil. He was a former colonel in the French infantry who fought and died on the side of the Boers during the Second Anglo-Boer War.
I've attached a photo of the rock we found and the area we found it. We will definitely look around the area for more interesting historical pieces. Some old gun casings were also found on the neighboring farm.
My question - does anybody have any information regarding the names on the rock? Or maybe more info about the Boshof area and the Anglo Boer War?
Much appreciated.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CJ Groenewald, Koedoesrand, 1901 2 years 7 months ago #78427

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Welcome to the forum, Annelien.

What an amazing artefact to have on your farm.

There was a burger named Casper Johannes Groenewald who served in the Vrede Commando. His applied for his Anglo Boere Oorlog (ABO) medal so there will be more information about his on his application form.

I don't have a copy of this form but will see if I can track one down.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds