• Page:

TOPIC:

Prisoner of war SJ Du Plessis 2 years 8 months ago #77787

• Elena
  • Elena's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good day. Thank you for the acceptance on this page. My mother told me about her father's grandfather who were taken prisoner in the Anglo Boer War. I only have names for him but no other detail. His name was Stefanus Johannes Du Plessis. If you have any information please share it with me. Will be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Prisoner of war SJ Du Plessis 2 years 8 months ago #77789

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Welcome Elena,

There are 2 men of this name on the prisoner roll ( www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/8...oer-prisoners-of-war ), one from Steenbokfontein (age 37) and the other from Kalkgat (age 20).

Are these possible matches?
Dr David Biggins

Prisoner of war SJ Du Plessis 2 years 8 months ago #77790

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A man called Stephanus du Plessis, from Potchefstroom, applied for his Anglo Boer War Medal so there will be an application form for him (available at cost from [email protected])
Dr David Biggins

Prisoner of war SJ Du Plessis 2 years 8 months ago #77791

• Elena
  • Elena's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you very much for your feedback. I do appreciate it. If I may ask, were there any Du Plessis prisoners held on St Helena? If not then I believe the one held on Bermuda is my great grandfather. Do you have any more information on him please?

Prisoner of war SJ Du Plessis 2 years 8 months ago #77793

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Elena,

It might be best if you search that page ( www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/8...oer-prisoners-of-war ) as it is possible that his name was not recorded correctly.

A search example:

Most of the information we have on men who fought on the Boer side comes from the applications made for their Boer War Medal but many Boers never submitted an application. Most of the names of the men who did submit an application can be found by searching the forum. Try this search:

This shows the 9 near matches.

Another route is to search familyseach.org (free site, registration needed). This shows 48 matches which you can go through. Some can be disregarded based on the birth year which will reduce the search.

Finally, you could also trawl though the National Archives of South Africa ( www.national.archives.gov.za/ )

Good luck!

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Prisoner of war SJ Du Plessis 2 years 8 months ago #77800

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Elena
The Museum of the Boer Republic in Bloemfontein has a database, ( www.wmbr.org.za ), a search of du Plessis, and then select prisoners, gives the following S J du Plessis prisoners.

19234 du Plessis SAREL JACOB PHILIPPOLIS DE POORTJE Onbekend Click for full details
22179 du Plessis SAREL JACOB PHILIPPOLIS GROENKLOOF UMBALLA Click for full details
1503 du Plessis SAREL JACOB POTCHEFSTROOM PAARDEBERG Onbekend Click for full details
16331 du Plessis SAREL JACOB FAURESMITH PAARDEBERG TUCKERS Click for full details
14514 du Plessis SAREL JACOB PHILIPPOLIS BOKBOSCH Onbekend Click for full details
6813 Du Plessis SAREL JACOBUS WEPENER FOURIESBURG DIYATALAWA Click for full details
5300 du Plessis SAREL JOHANNES BLOEMFONTEIN MODDERRIVIER BROADBOTTOM Click for full details
19232 du Plessis SAREL JOHANNES PHILIPPOLIS DE POORTJE DARRELLS Click for full details
14512 du Plessis SAREL JOHANNES PHILIPPOLIS WATERKLOOF Onbekend Click for full details
27394 du Plessis SAREL JOHANNES WINBURG SANDRIVER Onbekend Click for full details
10455 Du Plessis SAREL JOHANNES RUSTENBURG WOLHUTERSKOP DIYATALAWA Click for full details
3461 du Plessis SAREL JOHANNES BLOEMHOF PAARDEBERG ST. HELENA Click for full details

19235 du Plessis STEFANUS JOHANNES PHILIPPOLIS DE POORTJE Onbekend Click for full details
22190 du Plessis STEFANUS JOHANNES PAULUS RUSTENBURG STEENBOKFONTEIN SHAHJAHANPUR Click for full details
9106 Du Plessis STEPHANUS JOHANNES ROUXVILLE FOURIESBURG DIYATALAWA Click for full details

So a first name will be important to resolve the issue

Regards
Adrian

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.624 seconds