• Page:

TOPIC:

New Researcher of the Anglo-Boer War 2 years 9 months ago #77443

• Urquhart
  • Urquhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am a new researcher of the Anglo-Boer War after discovering recently my great Uncle Private Fred Urquhart served in the Gloucestershire Regiment from 1900 to 1902 in South Africa. He and my family emigrated to the United States in 1906 on the same ship (SS Cymric) which transported his regiment to Capetown in January 1900. I look forward to learning more about his regiment and the war.
Thanks,
Justin
Justin Baer
Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Researcher of the Anglo-Boer War 2 years 9 months ago #77444

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Justin
Welcome to the Forum. I am sure that there are many here who will only be to happy to field your questions. In Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa" there is a potted history of the doings of the 2nd Gloucestershire Regt. to give some background. As a matter of interest, the Palmer casualty roll shows one "3370 Pte. F.R. Urquhart" of 2 Glosters who was Pow at Dewetsdorp on 22/11/00 and marked as Released 5 December. Is that your GU?
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Urquhart

New Researcher of the Anglo-Boer War 2 years 9 months ago #77448

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Welcome Justin,

Like IL, I have found 3370 Pte Frederick Robert Urquhart, 2nd Gloucesters.

He earned the QSA (3) Paarderberg Driefontein and Relief of Kimberley and the KSA with 2 clasps.

The history of the two battalions of Gloucesters is here: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...cestershire-regiment

He was born in 1873 in Manchester.

There are service papers available for him. These are available at cost from FindMyPast.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urquhart

New Researcher of the Anglo-Boer War 2 years 9 months ago #77462

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi Justin
Welcome to the forum.

Frederick Robert Urquhart
Born 11th December 1872 Manchester Lancashire
Mother & Father were Fanny and Robert Urquhart.

The 1891 Census has Fred living with the Warr family in Bristol 155 Pear Tree Cottatge St Michaels Bristol Gloucester. He was 18 years old and the Warr's nephew.

Fred joined the Gloucester regiment on 21st September 1891 at Bristol. Regiment number 3370
His attestation papers have Fred serving in the 3rd battalion of Gloucesters (Militia)before he joined the 2nd Battalion in 1891.

He was 18 years and 9 months old and profession recorded was labourer.
He was 5 foot 5 inches, weighed 110 pounds,  blue eyes, brown hair and fresh complexion.  Religious denomination was C of E
No distinguished marks,scars or tattoos recorded.

Date time line for Fred's time in the regiment as follows-

Home 21/9/1891 to 25/ 11 / 1892
India   26/ 11/ 1892 to 20/ 11 /1894
Malta 21 / 11/ 1894 to 20/ 11/ 1895
Egypt  21 / 11/ 1895 to 5/ 2/ 1897
India  3/ 3/ 1899 to 31 / 12 / 1899
Home 3/ 3/ 1899 to 31/ 12/ 1899
South Africa  1/ 1 /1900 to 15/ 9/ 1902
Home 16 /9/ 1902

During his posting to Cairo, Egypt.  He was awarded a certificate for Mounted Infantry training on 30th June 1896.

His medal entitlement has been covered,  I will try a up load his medal rolls sometime. His next of kin on his papers was his mother Fanny Urquhart, however, address was unknown.

Best wishes
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

New Researcher of the Anglo-Boer War 2 years 9 months ago #77463

• Urquhart
  • Urquhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you everyone for the information about my great uncle Frederick Robert Urquhart (1872 to 1944). He was a quiet man who never spoke about his military service. I appreciate your detailed responses which are assisting me understand this man. He died in Pawtucket, Rhode Island after working decades as a laborer and janitor in the textile mills there.

His father was Robert Urquhart (circa 1827 to circa 1877) from Manchester who died when Fred was a young boy and he was separated from his mother and sisters in Manchester to live with his maternal aunt near Bristol. Fred''s father was a Greenwich Pensioner which I understand shows he served in the navy.

Thanks again,

Justin

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds