• Page:

TOPIC:

Men of Alveley Shropshire 2 years 10 months ago #76799

• Margaretsheridan
  • Margaretsheridan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello my name is Margaret and I joined the forum yesterday, having spotted a very interesting photo of medals and an article on Herbert Link of Alveley Shropshire,
This has really got me thinking.
I’m sure there were many other men of alveley who served, so if anyone knows any others I would be very interested
One other I know of so far is ..Robert James Bannister born Alveley 1876, who served in 16th queens lancers.. he served during the boer war, (and later served in WW1, sadly killed in action)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Men of Alveley Shropshire 2 years 10 months ago #76801

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Margaret
Robert James Bannister was born in Birmingham Warwickshire
His regiment number was 4165 . He was awarded the Queens South Africa Medal with 6 clasps. Laings Nek, Relief of Ladysmith, Tugela Heights, Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal. He was also entitled to the Kings South medal with date clasps. Medal roll WO 100 / 118 & 305 dated May 1903. Middleburg. SA
He kept his regimental number 4165 into WW1 and served again with 16th Queens Lancers.
Sadly he was killed in action on the 2nd of May 1915 aged 35 although looking at his birth date of 1876 it could be 39 years of age?. His personal effects were forwarded to his widow Agnes Louisa. 8 pounds 8 Shillings and 9 pence. He married in 1907 aged 31. Agnes Louisa née France.
He is remembered on panel 5 of the Ypres Menin Gate memorial.

PS. 1881 census has Robert living with his father also called Robert - born in Leominster. His mother Catherine who was definitely a Shropshire lass from Alveley. Robert and his sister Fanny were born in Birmingham. The family resided at Number 2 Cooks Cross where they shared with another family called Scriven.
This information you probably have already my apologies for that. As for further Alveley / Bridgnorth men, is there a local historical society or museum who could help with identifying potential Boer War soldiers?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, Margaretsheridan

Men of Alveley Shropshire 2 years 10 months ago #76802

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2297
I would expect a place the size of Alveley to have at least one or two men who served in South Africa, although I can't help with any names. I suppose the Kidderminster and Bridgnorth newspapers would be the best ones to look in.

Found the below piece, totally unrelated to what you asked, but might be of interest.

OLD MILITIA PAPERS DISCOVERED.
....Some old documents have been found at Sutton Common and taken to the police station, and their contents are rather interesting at a time when balloting for militia service is in the air. One is dated Bridgnorth, February 14, 1787, and certifies that one William Dalloway, in township of Alveley, in the county of Salop, is incapable of serving in the militia. It is signed by "Thomas Rogers, surgeon." Though Dalloway escaped militia service at the time, he seems to have been drawn again later on, for another document dated Worcester, 16th January, 1795, notifies that he had been drawn by lot to serve in the militia in the county of Worcester. and he is warned to attend at Claines, on the 30th January, to be sworn in to serve for the space of five years. Again, however, he gets out of it, for another certificate of 30th January, 1795, states that he was discharged from the militia, being "deaf and having a complaint in the right wrist and otherwise unfit for service." Probably after this Dalloway was let alone by the military authorities.
Birmingham Daily Post, Monday 5th February 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Men of Alveley Shropshire 2 years 10 months ago #76804

• Margaretsheridan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you so much, that’s very informative and helpful..much appreciated

Men of Alveley Shropshire 2 years 10 months ago #76806

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 754
Hi Margaret,
Following my research and our conversation about Herbert Link, I will keep a lookout for anybody who served in SA that may have an Alveley connection.
Cheers Steve

Men of Alveley Shropshire 2 years 10 months ago #76808

• Margaretsheridan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Would it be ok to show the photo of the medals on the alveley history group page ?as I know there are lots of family still around Alveley. Feel free to join us and see the replies etc
.who has the medals now ?
It always intrigues me when things from alveley “reappear years later etc and we are able to uncover the story.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds