• Page:

TOPIC:

Duncan Henry Hibbs SINCLAIR 2 years 11 months ago #75844

• CClement
  • CClement's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
The following obituary appeared in our local newspaper here in New Zealand on the 1 July 1927. I cant find him under SINCLAIR - did he serve under another name? He said he war Mentioned in Despatches?

OBITUARY - MR DUNCAN H. H. SINCLAIR
It is with profound regret that we have to chronicle the death of a very popular and highly esteemed settler of this district in the person of Mr Duncan H. H. Sinclair, who passed away on Thursday afternoon after an illness of only nine day's duration. The deceased gentleman, who was aged 52, was the second son of the late Mr Duncan Sinclair and Mrs Sinclair and was born at Wainui-o-mata ( Wellington). With his parents he afterwards removed to the Manawatu where the early years of his life were spent. On the outbreak of the South African War Mr Sinclair crossed to Australia and joined the First Contingent of New South Wales Bushmen. He fought throughout the war and was mentioned in despatches. At the close of the campaign he took up farming in the Orange River Free Colony and also engaged in the importation of pedigree stock into South Africa from America. In 1911 he returned to New Zealand and started sheep farming in the Taumarunui district. A few years later (in 1919) Mr Sinclair settled in Tauranga where he lived for some time, but three years ago took up a farm at Rangiuru and commenced dairying. During his residence in this district his genial nature made him a favourite with all who knew him. He possessed a wealth of information and was a most interesting companion, He leaves a wife and four children (boys) with whom the greatest sympathy is expressed. Mrs F. T. Danvers, of Te Puke, is a sister of deceased, other sisters being Mrs Lawson, of Palmerston North, and Mrs Bearr, of Wellington. His brothers are Messrs Hugh and Norman Sinclair, of Palmerston North, and Mr Harold Sinclair, of Auckland. The funeral which will be a Masonic one, will leave the residence at 2.30 tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. TE PUKE TIMES, 1 JULY 1927, PAGE 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Duncan Henry Hibbs SINCLAIR 2 years 11 months ago #75845

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
There is a D Sinclair pertaining to NSW Citizens Bushmens Contingent. Regimental number 359. Could only find one medal roll for a 1901 clasp entitlement. In the remarks column it states - To Imperial Regiment.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Duncan Henry Hibbs SINCLAIR 2 years 11 months ago #75846

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
I had a look on Trove (the Australian newspapers archive) and this may be your man.

Town and Country Journal [Sydney], Saturday 10.2.1900
The same newspaper on 10th March gave his name as Trooper F. Sinclair.

"D" Squadron. D. Sinclair was given the number 73 to identify him in the photo (not his service number). He's on the third row up, fifth from the right.

Town and Country Journal [Sydney], Saturday, 24.2.1900

Name here given only as Sinclair.
The Sydney Mail, Saturday 3.3.1900
Attachments:

Duncan Henry Hibbs SINCLAIR 2 years 11 months ago #75847

• BereniceUK
It's definitely him.

Evening News [Sydney], Tuesday 13.2.1900

Corporal T. Allison, of Wilcannia, had a letter published in the Western Grazier (24.10.1900), in which he wrote "The first fight I was in the Colonel recommended me and a mate of mine named Duncan Sinclair for bravery. We stayed behind when others left with a wounded man, and for this he made us corporals. Sinclair poor fellow we had to leave in Rustenberg with enteric fever and I have not since heard of him."
trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13888...rm=Duncan%20Sinclair
Attachments:

Duncan Henry Hibbs SINCLAIR 2 years 11 months ago #75848

• CClement
  • CClement's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Wow this is wonderful - thank you so much
We have an archives here in town so will add his information as well as on Find A Grave
Christine Clement
Te Puke
New Zealand

Duncan Henry Hibbs SINCLAIR 2 years 11 months ago #75849

• BereniceUK
I've added his photo on Find A Grave; thank you for creating his page there.

I see that he's not listed on this roll of honour for Tauranga and Te Puke. freepages.rootsweb.com/~sooty/genealogy/taurangatepukeSAW.html

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds