• Page:

TOPIC:

Modder River dead. 3 years 1 month ago #75193

• Biddybuzzz
  • Biddybuzzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been periodically searching for a soldier relative of mine for so long, years, that I have almost given up by now. I only know his first name..my father, who was born in 1912, always referred to him as his uncle Michael who was killed crossing the Modder River in the Boer War (his words). My family name is Hetherington so I would automatically search for Michael Hetherington but this search ends unsuccessfully. Flynn and Farrell and Honner family surnames are no better.
Ireland was still a part of the UK in this timeframe and our family in County Laois, Queen’s county, had men serving with the army in India and Ireland, possibly UK as well. A grand uncle, Richard Hetherington, was killed in 1914 in France. He is accounted for. But as for my father’s uncle Michael.....untraceable. However, I believe my father. Where do I go with this one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Modder River dead. 3 years 1 month ago #75197

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Biddybuzzz,

Three suggestions for you.

1. I would suggest starting with the census records. There are available for free at the National Archives (if you could get there!) or for a fee on Ancestry. Alternatively, you could employ a researcher to do that for you.

That would (hopefully) give you the biographical details to facilitate a further search.

2. If it is true that he died crossing the Modder River, you could search this site for the names of those associated with that place. If you go to Name search on the top menu and enter Modder River you will see many records. Most will be false positives but you may recognise a name perhaps?

3. There is a list of casualties from the engagement at the battle of Modder River from the newspapers here: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/singleclaspqs...-river?start=0#11922

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins

Modder River dead. 3 years 1 month ago #75201

• Biddybuzzz
  • Biddybuzzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
David

Thank you for your suggestions. I’m beginning to think that it might be worthwhile leaving all this, or rather, the little I have, in the capable hands of an experienced researcher. This site will be worth exploring for the moment. I should have paid more attention to my father but it’s too late now.
Ann.

Modder River dead. 3 years 1 month ago #75203

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hello Ann

Take a look here.......

www.britishbattles.com/great-boer-war/battle-of-modder-river/

At least it will tell you what major regiments were present.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds