TOPIC:

Kimberley Town Guard - Pte G Payne 3 years 2 months ago #74529

• SJH31
  • SJH31's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
My name's John and I'm a very new member researching one or two QSA's for myself and an elderly relative.

I should really appreciate any guidance into a QSA, Defence of Kimberley clasp, to Pte G Payne, Kimberley Town Guard, and the accompanying (unnamed) Mayor's Star. I've found Payne on the KTG medal roll, which I believe also indicates that he was "No 140 Scott's Railway Guards", but I'm a bit mystified if he would have transferred , perhaps when the siege was lifted? I'd really like to know more about him and don't know where to find his Attestation Papers, assuming the record exists?

Tantalisingly, I discovered that there was a Trooper G.R Payne, who was in G Troop, Bechuanaland Border Police, in the Jameson Raid. This is probably stretching luck too far, but I should like to clear up whether they're one & the same man or not?

Any help with my enquiries would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kimberley Town Guard - Pte G Payne 3 years 2 months ago #74536

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
John
According to David's book "Kimberley. Siege Account and Medal roll", your Pte. George Payne served in H Coy. of KTG and served in SRG from 11.2.1901. Well after the siege ended. I had a look for him in the SRG nominal roll but did not see an entry. He is on the SRG roll (WO100/270) and clasp entitlement "Cape Colony" deleted; knocked out by his DofK clasp. As far as your man possibly being a Jamerson Raider, you would have to establish that by addresses or some other proof. Many Jameson Raiders (most?) also served in Rhodesian units and G.R.Payne is not on the BSACo Owen Medal roll for any unit.
Good luck with your quest.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, SJH31

Kimberley Town Guard - Pte G Payne 3 years 2 months ago #74539

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
John,

According to the list of Jameson Raiders ( www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/8...754-the-jameson-raid ), George R Payne's address was Sea View Ho, Kingston by Sea, Sussex.

I would suggest looking at the 1901 census to see if he was in the UK.

There are enrolment forms for Scott's Railway Guards in WO126. I don't have a copy of these but I have made a note and will check when I next have the opportunity to visit.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJH31

Kimberley Town Guard - Pte G Payne 3 years 2 months ago #74548

• SJH31
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello IL,
That's brilliant and clarifies the mystery of the two entry in the KTG medal roll. I'll have a go at accessing the SRG roll as I am a subscriber to one of the family history research website and I will probably be able to get the relevant page from that route.

Using David's information below I've located Attestation Papers for 82594 Pte George Robert Payne from Kingston on Sea who joined the Royal Artillery on 02/01/1891, so know if I can find out more about "my" G Payne I can establish if they are the same or not.

Many thanks for your help.

All the best,
John

Kimberley Town Guard - Pte G Payne 3 years 2 months ago #74549

• SJH31
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello David,
I am very grateful for your reply to my post and for that of IL.

I have actually found Attestation Papers for 82594 Pte George Robert Payne from Kingston on Sea who joined the Royal Artillery on 02/01/1891, so now if I can find out more about "my" G Payne I can establish if they are the same or not. I'll have a look at the 1901 census and after, as you suggest, to see if he returned home after his service in the army but it seems that GR Payne was discharged at PM Burg on 13/11/1894, so it appears unlikely. Hopefully the SRG enrolment form may shed light where "my" G Payne hailed from. If you are able to get a copy of G Payne's form sometime in the future it would be fantastic, and I am reluctant to put you to any trouble. If there's any outlay, please let me know as I'd be happy to reimburse you.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Regards,
John

Kimberley Town Guard - Pte G Payne 3 years 2 months ago #74551

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
John,

The attestation paper if its there and it it contains some biographical information may but the missing piece in this puzzle.

It is on my list to check at the Archives but I am just not sure when I will make it there. There will be no costs to reimburse but thank you for the offer.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJH31

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds