Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private S. T. Clarke grandfather. Leicestershire Regiment 3 years 2 months ago #74487

• Seabridge
  • Seabridge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am researching the service of my grandfather Samuel Thomas Clarke No. 4396 who served in the 1st Leicestershire Regiment during the Boer War and was at Talana and Ladysmith. Any further information would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private S. T. Clarke grandfather. Leicestershire Regiment 3 years 2 months ago #74490

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hi Seabridge
Welcome to the site.
Your Grandfather seems to have been slightly wounded whilst serving with the 1st battalion as part of the 26th Mounted Infantry. However, the regimental number is correct but his initial is recorded as a G not S. This happened quite alot when recording details.
Clarke G 4396 Private Slightly wounded. Holkrantz, 3 May 1902 1st Battalion. 26 th Ml. (Mounted Infantry)

He is also recorded as being a QSA holder where his initial is correct.

Clarke S 4396 Private QSA (4) List of QSAs with the clasp Talana from the Talana book.

A quick look on Ancestry also has your Grandfather as a KSA recipient.
The site does have a section on the Leicestershire regiment which gives a brief history during the Boer war.
Do you have his medals? Should be a Queens South Africa with 4 clasps and a Kings South Africa with the 2 date clasps?
best regards
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seabridge

Private S. T. Clarke grandfather. Leicestershire Regiment 3 years 2 months ago #74496

• Seabridge
  • Seabridge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for your reply. I knew of the QSAs from the site but the medals, which my uncle once had, have disappeared. I did not know of the KSAs. I have just started this project so this information is valuable. My grandfather also enlisted in WW 1 under the name of Seabridge so there is a way to go.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds