TOPIC:

Francis Curran any assistance Please 3 years 3 months ago #74079

• Boyd
  • Boyd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Guys,
I am researching the Life and times of a Francis Curran who is reported to have served as a “Scout” in the South African War. A bit of background for the Francis Curran I am looking for. His official birthdate was 4th May 1875 in Belfast but also used 2 August 1874 as a birthdate to enable him to join the Royal Navy before he was actually old enough.
From the information I have gleamed about him I think I have narrowed it down to 4 of the 17 “F Curran” names that appear on the Name search page.
I was wondering if any member can assist in further information about any of these 4 individuals, My hunch is that he is the “F Curran” from the Driscoll Scouts (I know its never that easy) Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Francis Curran any assistance Please 3 years 3 months ago #74088

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Boyd,

It should be possible to check out your hunch as that F Curran also served with the Imperial Light Horse, Queenstown Rifle Volunteers and Frontier Mounted Rifles. Hopefully, one of more attestation papers will exist for these units (and it will be filled in) but it will need a visit to the National Archives to confirm. I can add this to my todo list but I currently don't have a date planned for my next visit.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds