Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Newbe looking help (don’t they all) 3 years 3 months ago #73766

• Boyd
  • Boyd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi and thank you for this fantastic forum I am researching the Life and Times of a Francis Curran Born 4 May 1875 Belfast Ireland. I have information about his early Navy career and his later army career with the Canadian Expeditionary Forces. He served with the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles and gave the ultimate sacrifice at the Battle of Ancre Heights when he lost his life on the 1-2 Oct 1916 during an attack on Regina Trench. (Where he was subsequently buried)
His Attestation papers in Canada when he joined th3 CEF state for previous service that he “Served” South Africa FF 1900-1902. A contemporary newspaper obituary in 1917 states that he served as a scout in the South Africa campaign. I have found a Francis Curran and an F Curran in Driscoll Scouts ( Looking at the nominal roll ) I believed these to be the same individual.
Can anyone assist me or point me in the direction to obtain further about Francis Curran during his time in the Scouts I.e. where he my have been during the time of his service which appears to be from 9 Aug 1901 to Dis 21 Feb 1902 as can be seen from the attached Nominal Roll image.
Can anyone tell me what the abbreviation C/S after his discharge date is?

The more I find out the more I need to know!

Kind Regards Boyd
Stray Safe and Stay Well
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newbe looking help (don’t they all) 3 years 3 months ago #73769

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Boyd
Welcome to the Forum. The "728/37639 Tpr. F. Curran" of the Driscolls Scouts certainly got around a bit if he is indeed your man. The nominal roll and the medal roll indicate Driscoll's (where that man earned the "Transvaal" clasp) , 2nd ILH, Queenstown RV and Johannesburg MR. My understanding about the marginal note "c/s" is "conclusion/completion of service". However, the question which must be raised is whether your F. Curran of the 5th Canadian MR is one and the same as the "F. Curran" of Driscolls (etc). The link has to be made to satisfy your query. I am sure that there would have been more than one "F.Curran" serving with the mounted Colonial or locally raised units during the ABW.
Don't worry about being a newbie looking for help. The regular Forum members often field questions such as yours; sometimes there is an answer and sometimes there is not.
Good luck with your quest.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boyd

Newbe looking help (don’t they all) 3 years 3 months ago #73778

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Boyd,

Welcome to the forum.

I have some attestation papers but not those for Driscoll's Scouts. This will need a visit to the National Archives to determine if this is your man.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boyd

Newbe looking help (don’t they all) 3 years 3 months ago #73796

• Boyd
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Linneyl
Thank you for your response I agree the first think I need to do is establish if the Driscoll Scout Curran is my man. I also agree that there is likely more than one Francis Curran who enlisted, however as I have not yet found any others then this is as good a start as any. His story is guide amazing and in your words “ He did get about a bit” his obituary states that he was also involved in the “Boxer Expedition “ In my ignorance I had never even heard of this before. I am new to this type of research but getting hooked big style. Each new found piece of potential evidence is magic.
Kind Regards
Boyd

Newbe looking help (don’t they all) 3 years 3 months ago #73798

• Boyd
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello David,
Thank you for your response - I’m finding this whole process way too addictive! You mention the National Archives and that attestation papers may survive for Driscolll Scouts. Sorry fir appearing dumb but which National Archives are you referring to and can one request “remote” access as I Live in Northern Ireland. Finally what information would I need to provide 8n order to assist in a search.
Kind Regards
Boyd

Newbe looking help (don’t they all) 3 years 3 months ago #73799

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Boyd,

Sorry, the National Archives in London. I have added his to the list to look up on my next visit bit I don't current have a firm visit date.

You could contact Kevn Asplin who visits the NA frequently and will be able to look it up for you, at a cost.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds