Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

5771 PRIVATE A. PAYZE.1ST BATTALION :THE WELSH REGIMENT 3 years 5 months ago #72573

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 762
QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA
CLASPS:RELIEF OF KIMBERLEY /PAARDEBEEG/DRIEFONTEIN /BELFAST
CONDITION :EF. NO KNOCKS. ORIGINAL RIBBON. DARK TONING. SWIVEL-YES.

KING'S SOUTH AFRICA
CLASPS:SOUTH AFRICA 1901 AND 1902.
CONDITION :AS QSA

MOUNTED FOR WEAR

PROVENANCE :DEALER IN SA

I will begin this biographical history by referring to Private Payze by his correct Christian names of Edward Charles, the initial 'A' of the impressed naming of both medals being incorrect. This is an issue I have found to be common with QSAs to the regiment.
Edward Charles Payze was born on 14th November 1879 in Shoreditch, London, England the son of Robert and Louisa Payze (Louisa died not long after Edward was born, father Robert is shown as a widower in the census of 1881).
Edward's siblings were Sarah Louise, Robert George (Rose from gunner on torpedo boats to Lt. Commander R. N.), James Augustus, Louisa Susannah and Maud. Maybe his enlisting in the army helped to ease the burden on the family.

Payze attested to the Welsh Regiment on the 26th November 1898 in London. His age was given as 19 years and 1 month. His occupation was recorded as Clerk. Sergeant Shrubb was the recruitment officer serving notice.
He was described as being 5' 4 3/4" in height, 118 pounds in weight with minimum chest measurement of 33" and maximum 35". He was of fair complexion, had dark brown eyes and auburn hair. His religion was Church of England. He had a tattoo of a cross on his left forearm and a dark brown patch was located on his abdomen.

Robert Payze was noted as Next of Kin and living at the family home at 232 Boleyn Road, Upton Park, London.
Payzes dates of service were as follows :
HOME :26/11/1898 to 03/11/1899--343 days
S. AFRICA :04/11/1899 to 31/08/1903-3 years and 301days
Giving a total of 4 years 279 days.

The 1st battalion Welsh Regiment sailed to the Cape arriving on 22/11/1899. Payze was involved in the Relief of Kimberley, and came out unscathed from the battle of Paardeberg where the battalion suffered heavy losses and gained regimental battle honours for their valiant service.
At Driefontein Payze was wounded on 10/03/1900, another action where the 1st battalion suffered heavily with 22 killed in action, 8 died of wounds and 111 were wounded.
His wound could not have been too serious as he was fit enough for duty to qualify for the clasp Belfast on 26/27th August 1900.
As the conflict entered the guerilla phase, Payze must have taken well to the soldierly life now being a veteran of some hot engagements. He was appointed unpaid Lance Corporal on 09/09/1900, promoted Corporal 15/10/1901,then Sergeant on 21/10/1902. He extended his service by signing up to take his service to 12 years on 03/01/1903.
However, he discharged himself at his own request on payment of £18 under Article 1142 on 31/08/1903. This final entry on his papers was signed off by Lt. Col. Ball commanding 1st.battalion Welsh Regiment on the same date.

I would venture to say that the reason for leaving the service was due to the fact that Edward had met a certain Sarah Johanna White who was born at Pienaars River, Bela Bela Rural, Limpopo, SA. They were married in Pretoria on 2nd December 1903 and had six children : Edward Albert, Alfred James, Albert George, Edith, Frederick Charles, Sarah Elizabeth. They appear to be comfortably well off if their family portrait is anything to go by.

Attachment not found

I have not been able to find the reason why, but Edward returned to London at some time during 1934 where, unfortunately, he died aged 54/55 years of age at St. Mary, Haggerstone, Middlesex. I tracked down the rest of the family, all of his children remained in South Africa and his wife remarried twice until her death some time in 1956. Her subsequent marriages were to Johannes Jacobs Marx and Johannes Hermanus Bezuidenhout. Maybe these gentlemen fought on the boer side during the Anglo Boer War, they certainly had classic Afrikaaner names!

In summary, Payze being a very uncommon surname made for a relatively simple research project for this boer war veteran of the Welsh Regiment.

As you can see from the above images, it would be very tempting to fit new ribbons to the pair of medals to tidy them up. But I wouldn't dream of it! I imagine Edward Charles Payze wearing them with pride over 86 years ago. I think I'll leave them just as they are.

A very enjoyable case study.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.158 seconds