TOPIC:

W. BARBOUR :CAPE GOVERNMENT RAILWAYS 3 years 5 months ago #72473

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 759

QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL
CLASPS:none
CONDITION :NEF. No edge knocks, tight swivel, mounted on card
PROVENANCE:purchased from e-Bay early this year from a seller listing their late father's extensive medal collection. Acquired for a very reasonable price despite import duties from USA etc.

Barbour was a civilian employee of the Cape Government Railways (CGR).
I have been able to get some information about him from the medal roll for CGR which was signed off in Bulawayo by the Engineer-in-Chief, Alan Grant-Dalton.
Barbour is recorded as being a Carpenter with no entitlement to clasps.
However, there is an interesting entry in the Remarks column for Permanent Way Inspector S. Smith which is dittoed below alongside Barbour's name, so therefore also applies to our gentleman of interest, I quote :
"Railway duties prevented this man from joining any corps, but he rendered great assistance during Miltary operations with column under Colonel Plumer between Bulawayo and Mafeking."
This period would appear to refer to the attempted relief of Mafeking and would have made for an interesting time for Barbour. His particular skill set must have been highly desirable to preclude him from military service.
What a pity he received no clasps.

There is great interest in civvy QSAs for me. The recipients don't always have to be facing a hail of Mauser bullets to pique my interest!

Hope you enjoyed this short story.
Steve.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

W. BARBOUR :CAPE GOVERNMENT RAILWAYS 3 years 5 months ago #72485

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
A very nice medal, Steve. Many of those railway men would have had great stories to tell of their exploits.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.483 seconds