• Page:

TOPIC:

DUDLEY BOER WAR MEMORIAL 3 years 5 months ago #72471

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 762

War Memorial Ref:17448
Maker and Designer :Henry Owen Burgess (who lived nearby in Old Hill and was a former student at Dudley School of Art).

Unveiled:23rd September 1904 by Lt. Gen. the Hon. Sir Neville Lyttleton GCB.

Cost :£300 raised by public subscription.

Height of monument :5.5 metres

Location :Stourbridge Road, Dudley, West Midlands (formerly Worcestershire).

OS Grid Reference :SO930900

The following description of it's structure and design I quote from the Imperial War Museum Web page for the memorial :

"TAPERING BASE SURMOUNTED BY PEDESTAL WITH FOUR COLUMNS IN BLACK GRANITE, FLUTED UP, ON THE SIDES AND IONIC CAPITALS ON THE TOP. THIS IS SURMOUNTED BY A STATUE OF A SOLDIER HOLDING A BRONZE RIFLE AT THE CHARGE WITH BAYONET FIXED. HE DEFENDS A WOUNDED BUGLER TO PROTECT HIM. DUDLEY COAT OF ARMS ABOVE THE DEDICATING INSCRIPTION. THE WHOLE IS SURROUNDED BY A STONE KERB WITH EIGHT MOULDED PILLARS. SOLDIER WEARS A SLOUCH HAT. WREATHS CARVED INTO EACH SIDE OF THE BASE BELOW THE DATES AND A GARLAND IS CARVED AROUND THE PEDESTAL ABOVE THE MAIN DESCRIPTION. FOLIATE DESIGN ABOVE"

Variations on this design are to be seen at other ABW memorials in Manchester, Swansea, Falkirk, Alloa, and Guernsey.

Inscriptions to the monument which trace around the four faces:
TRANSVAAL/CAPE COLONY/ORANGE FREE STATE /NATAL

GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS TO LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS

6 O'CLOCK FACE:ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION IN MEMORY OF SOLDIERS OF THIS BOROUGH WHO FELL IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN CAMPAIGN 1899-1902

3 O'CLOCK FACE:KILLED IN ACTION (LIST OF NAMES BENEATH)

12 O'CLOCK FACE:DIED OF WOUNDS OR SICKNESS (LIST OF NAMES BENEATH)

9 O'CLOCK FACE:DIED OF WOUNDS OR SICKNESS
(NAMES LISTED BENEATH)

There are a total of 56 names on the memorial all of whom died as a result of participation in the Anglo Boer War.
The inscriptions are all legible thanks to a recent major restoration which was completed in time for Remembrance Sunday in November 2015. This beautiful piece of architecture dedicated to the fallen now enjoys Grade ll Listed Status from Natural England.
Sadly, in the past the bronze rifle was stolen and the marble hands of the standing soldier snapped off in 2013. The rifle was replaced by a more robust one made of Dorset Portland stone and a seamless restoration was completed by Stonemason Malcolm Morris. The bayonet and rifle strap were now made of aluminum.
In August 2017 the memorial was again vandalised by the breaking of the aluminium bayonet which has since been replaced (the above images were taken today 28/10/2020).

A COUPLE OF OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE MEN NAMED THEREON
I have had a very brief look at the casualties information in Watt(2000) and also found that another local historian has given a brief summary of each individual.
One that stood out for me was that of Private William Wright of 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment who died of enteric in 1904 in the UK and was also interred in the UK. No regimental number is quoted and no cemetery or town. Very unusual to have died of enteric back home after the voyage home perhaps?
As you would expect there are many representatives of the battalions of the Worcesters.
Very interesting to note is the absence of any casualties to the officer ranks amongst the men listed on each panel. I would suggest that this reflects the predominantly working class background of the men of Dudley who died in South Africa. It was after all the centre of heavy industry in the black country region at that time.

In summary, let us hope that present and future generations will continue to honour these brave men who gave their lives out there.

Well worth a visit if you are ever in the area.

Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DUDLEY BOER WAR MEMORIAL 1 year 3 months ago #87779

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 762

I have just acquired the above mentioned postcard of the Dudley South African War Memorial, which bears a postmark from 1905. Thought I would share.
I am starting to build a bit of a 'side' collection of these for not a great deal of outlay
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.284 seconds