Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

5203-PRIVATE WILLIAM HARRISON :GRENADIER GUARDS 3 years 5 months ago #72448

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 754
Memorial location: children's section of churchyard 1882 extension,
Churchyard, St. Peter's Church, Cradley, West Midlands B63 2UL.
GPS location :N. 52.46419185 W. 2.08798278

A black country lad, William Harrison was born in the district of Stourbridge, Worcestershire in 1875.
The 1891 Census shows him living as a boarder with the Turley family along with his mother Fanny and two brothers, Thomas and Harry at Two Gates, Cradley, Worcestershire. His occupation was as a Gardener Domestic. Interestingly, his mother was described as a brick maker. The area was known for brick making right up until the 1980s.
William enlisted with the Grenadier Guards on 13th February 1895 serving for three years. On 24th April 1898 he was working as a Gas Stoker when he married Mary Jane Green also of Two Gates, Cradley.
On11th November 1899 William was recalled to the colours to participate in the South African Campaign with the 3rd Battalion of the Grenadier Guards. He took part in the battles of Belmont, Modder River and Driefontein. Later the 3rd were sent to Cape Colony. His QSA would bear these clasps.
A local Cradley historian records that William became ill with pyaemia, a form of septicaemia, and was admitted to the hospital in Pretoria where he eventually succumbed to the disease aged 26 years on 9th December 1900.
Watt (2000) records the cause of death as pneumonia.

William Harrison is interred at Pretoria in grave c1. 188 and is commemorated on the monument there. He is also remembered at St. Peter's Church, Cradley.
The images I have posted below show a memorial inscription on the gravestone of his daughter which makes very poignant reading :

"IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY DEAR HUSBAND WILLIAM HARRISON 3RD BATTALION GRENADIER GUARDS WHO DIED AT PRETORIA IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR DECEMBER 9TH, 1900 IN HIS 26TH YEAR
IN THE MIDST OF LIFE IS DEATH

ERECTED BY HIS WIDOW

ALSO OF PRUDENCE JANE THEIR DAUGHTER WHO DIED APRIL 23RD 1899 AGED 3 MONTHS
JESUS CALLED A LITTLE CHILD UNTO HIM"

The headstone is tucked behind one of the 177 lime trees planted to commemorate each man of Cradley that died during World War One. The cemetery has recently been tidied by ex-servicemen as it had become very overgrown. As you will see from the images 5203 Private William Harrison, 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards has not been forgotten. I expect to see another memorial wreath placed here for him come Remembrance Sunday and maybe a poppy from me.

And finally, I would ask the forum if anybody is aware of an extant QSA to Private William Harrison. It would be nice to know if it was still out there.
Any help would be most gratefully received.
Regards,
Steve

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5203-PRIVATE WILLIAM HARRISON :GRENADIER GUARDS 3 years 5 months ago #72451

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Moranthorse 1
5203 Pte. William Harrison's QSA clasp entitlement (according to WO100/163 page 185) is Cape Colony, Driefontein, Johannesburg and Belfast. According to the Regimental History of 3GG, at the time of his death, he was a member of No.1 Company.
Good luck in looking for this lad's medal.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

5203-PRIVATE WILLIAM HARRISON :GRENADIER GUARDS 3 years 5 months ago #72457

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 754
IL,
I am very grateful for the information you have posted in your reply.
I had reported the clasps according to the record by the local historian rather than the official medal rolls. I will drop them a line so this can be corrected.
Steve.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.616 seconds