• Page:

TOPIC:

Herbert Joslin 3 years 5 months ago #72418

• thac
  • thac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My Grandfather Herbert Joslin was a London CIV volunteer -I have and old photo of him with a group of soldiers - it is titled "at the Cape" I think he was living in Orsett ,Essex before going to the South Africa .
The group wearing hats that look very aussie looking. He was working for Whitmore "who at one time was lord lieutenant of Essex.
Herbert later fought in the 1st World War under the command of Colonel Francis Whitmore . Francis Whitmore set up a J troop of soldiers. They trained on his estate .
I am looking for details of Herbert Joslin Boer war experience .
I have a medal of his which has 4 bars . Diamond Hill, Johannesburg, Orange Free State and Cape Colony.
John Mundy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Herbert Joslin 3 years 5 months ago #72441

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2303
Hello John. The only Essex newspapers I have access to are from Colchester and Chelmsford, and I could only find one mention of your grandfather.

H. E. Joslin was in the 1st Essex Battalion of the City of London Imperial Volunteers, and all the members of the C.I.V. received the freedom of the City of London, at the Guildhall, on Friday 12th January 1900.
Chelmsford Chronicle, 19.1.1900

Herbert Joslin 3 years 5 months ago #72447

• thac
  • thac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
thank you for your reply
are their any records on the battles as a CIV volunteer he would have taken place in.
John Mundy

Herbert Joslin 3 years 5 months ago #72452

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
John
At the time and for a while afterwards, there was a deal written about the doings of the CIV. Somewhat to the dismay of certain other units which served alongside them! The CIV appear to have gained most attention due to their activity at Doornkop on 29/5/1900 (of interest at the time as that place was where the Jameson Raiders finally surrendered). They had "stiff work" at Diamond Hill, during the pursuit of DeWet Hunt when he crossed the Vaal and elsewhere.
Stirling, in "Our Regiments in South Africa" gives a good potted history of the CIV in South Africa - and you may see that by going to "Unit Information" in the Main Menu and jumping to "City Imperial Volunteers". A less formal account is that by Erskine Childers: "In The Ranks of the CIV".
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thac

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds