• Page:

TOPIC:

Identifying a Uniform 3 years 6 months ago #72340

• Questor
  • Questor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm researching a family that had three and possibly four sons serving in the Anglo Boer War. One died at Norval's Pont. It is the other three that I'm now tracing. I have an old photo of one and wonder if anyone can identify the uniform? All the lads were from Salford. I would appreciate any guidance members can give
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Identifying a Uniform 3 years 6 months ago #72356

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi Questor
Difficult to see too much detail on image. Not sure if the tunic is blue or red. The white piping and collar could be a yeomanry regiment.
The Worcestershire yeomanry has white piping on a blue tunic with white collar / Possible bandsman??. Will keep looking. Any further details would be useful to the forum if you have any.
regards
Dave

Manchester Reg
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Identifying a Uniform 3 years 6 months ago #72361

• Questor
  • Questor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for your message. I know that a brother served with 1 Battalion The East Lancashire Regiment. Soldier number 6619. He died of disease at Norvals Pont. I'm attaching his photo. Do you think these are the same uniforms? If so, how do I find the names of the men who served in that unit? I do know that the brothers who survived all served in the Lancashire Fusilliers Militia for years before the First World War.
Attachments:

Identifying a Uniform 3 years 6 months ago #72363

• Dave F
Hi Questor
The two images you posted show different dress uniforms.
I will keep looking regarding the uniform.
You could try www.lancashireinfantrymuseum.org.uk
They may be able to help, especially with Pte Dixon ( Norvals Pont)
Regards
Dave
Best regards,
Dave

Identifying a Uniform 3 years 6 months ago #72371

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
This photograph would be post 1898 and shows a member of a fusilier regiment.

Questor wrote: Thanks for your message. I know that a brother served with 1 Battalion The East Lancashire Regiment. Soldier number 6619. He died of disease at Norvals Pont. I'm attaching his photo. Do you think these are the same uniforms? If so, how do I find the names of the men who served in that unit? I do know that the brothers who survived all served in the Lancashire Fusilliers Militia for years before the First World War.

Identifying a Uniform 3 years 6 months ago #72421

• Dave F
The Lancashire Fusiliers on 1 July 1881.Under the new arrangements each county regiment had two Militia battalions attached to it: these were found by the 7th Royal Lancashire Militia, raised in 1855 and recruited from Bury, Manchester and Salford. This formed the 3rd and 4th Battalions of the Lancashire Fusiliers. In addition, Rifle Volunteer Corps were attached to their local regiments. In 1883 the 8th Lancashire Rifle Volunteers (raised at Bury on 22 August 1859) became the 1st Volunteer Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers, and the 12th Lancashire Rifle Volunteers (originally the 24th, raised at Rochdale in February 1860) became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion. In 1886 the 56th Lancashire Rifle Volunteers (raised at Salford on 5 March 1860) was transferred from the Manchester Regiment to become the 3rd Volunteer Battalion.

In common with other regiments recruited from populous urban areas, the Lancashire Fusiliers raised two further regular battalions, the 3rd in 1898, and the 4th in March 1900. This necessitated adjustments to the numbers of the Militia battalions, which became the 5th and 6th battalions. However, the 3rd and 4th Regular battalions were disbanded in 1906.

The 1st Battalion was stationed in Ireland from 1881 to September 1885, and again from April 1891 to 1897. In 1899 it was posted to Crete, and from 1901 at Malta.

The 2nd Battalion was stationed in British India from 1881 to 1898, when it took part in Kitchener's campaign to reconquer the Sudan and fought at the Battle of Omdurman. After a year at Malta, the battalion was posted to South Africa in December 1899, following the outbreak of the Second Boer War two months earlier.

During the Second Boer War, the 2nd Battalion saw action at the Battle of Spion Kop in January 1900 and took part in the Relief of Ladysmith in February .The battalion served in South Africa throughout the war, which ended with the Peace of Vereeniging in June 1902. About 570 officers and men left Cape Town on the SS Britannic in October that year, and was stationed at Aldershot after their return to the United Kingdom.The 6th (Militia) Battalion also served in the war, leaving for South Africa with 650 men on 10 February 1900. All three Volunteer Battalions also found 'service companies' of volunteers who served alongside the Regulars, and gained the battle honour South Africa 1900–1902 for their battalions.

Uniform from 1885/98 Lancashire Fusiliers. A bit of a mine field regarding your two images I'm afraid. Especially if we are assuming that your brothers were all in the same regiment. But as Frank has pointed out if uniform is early fusiliers and the Salford boys joined up locally it could be the earlier Lancs uniform. Although the white piping and eppalette arrangement differs from your original photographs it may transpire that the brothers served in a different fusilier / line regiment or militia battalion prior to their service in South Africa Boer war campaign. Sorry I couldn't be more precise .
Regards
Dave
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.608 seconds