• Page:

TOPIC:

4th South Staffordshire Regiment 3 years 6 months ago #72208

• Terryrice
  • Terryrice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The 4th Battalion was the 2nd Militia Battalion of The South Staffs Regiment. Serving in Ireland, were asked to Volunteer their Services to the War Office to serve in South Africa. Whilst on Parade those not wishing to serve abroad were to remain " At Ease" whilst the rest of the Battalion was called to "Attention". No one remained "At Ease". Quote From the Regimental Diary. Also on Parade that day was a man who served as a Drummer Boy in the Crimean War. They became the first Militia Battalion to serve in South Africa, again as quoted by the Battalion Diary.
My Grandmother gave me Her Fathers Medals when I was serving in the Royal Navy as a Boy in the 60's. Amongst my Fathers medals and other Family members who all donated their medals to me, became the catalyst for my becoming a medal collector. I soon found, that having the medals, was not enough and that research became a big part of being a collector. In those days not so easy to do. Hours of Library visits and to Museums I did go. Today research is so much easier and sites like this are essential and the more one finds out the more you wish to learn.
This site is so useful, although my G.Grandfather is not listed here. His Name :- Henry John Wheatley, 4464 4th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment. From Birmingham.
They Lost a few mates over there. One was accidently shot whilst on Parade.
Their Names are Recorded on a Plaque in Lichfield Cathedral. I earnestly hope that their names can be added to this site.
Yours Terry Rice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds