TOPIC:

Quick Intro 3 years 7 months ago #71428

• DavidS
  • DavidS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi All,

Long time medal collector; over the years i've picked up a smattering of QSAs in my collecting theme of the Territorial Force Artillery, but it has never been a focus of mine.
This has recently changed however - I have always had a passion for the Essex Volunteer Artillery and collect anything to them that i ever see (i'm sure we all have a theme like it). I always knew that 14 of the Essex VA were selected to be a part of the C.I.V. (out of 250 that volunteered from the unit) but never thought i would ever own one of these groups...until the DNW auction last Thursday when i was lucky enough to pick up two. Both of the soldiers, William Bodger and Samuel Pye, were known to me but i never thought i would ever get their groups.
It's now opened up a whole new world of research for me; i knew next to nothing about the C.I.V. but hope to find out a lot more - plus it's made me revisit other QSAs in the collection.

I'll also open with a question - is it possible to work out the Company of a CIV infantryman? The roll doesn't seem to offer any clues.

Cheers,

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Quick Intro 3 years 7 months ago #71430

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Welcome DavidS,

It is great when your interest is piqued like this.

I had a look in the works by Childers and Mackinnon and the edition of The Graphic but none have this information.

Mackinnon has a nominal roll:

Mackinnon also includes a table listing original units:

Perhaps someone else will know a better sources for this information.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds