Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

INTRODUCTION 3 years 8 months ago #71070

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 754
Hi everyone on ABW,

I think I have got things the wrong way round having posted 5 times before doing the introduction! Apologies!

My late father Michael was a very keen military historian who had a huge library of books and newspaper cuttings, mainly First and Second World War and also all conflicts since. He did have a couple of books about the Boer War (The National Army Museum Book of the Boer War in particular) which I read and became interested along with the film Breaker Morant piquing my curiosity.

I now collect QSAs as singles, pairs or groups and enjoy researching the medal and the man as much as I can. I have already picked up some great info from some of the experienced hands on the forum and very much hope to be able to post some interesting information myself.

I do like to find medals to colonial units, in particular Commander-in-Chief's Bodyguard and look forward to the day when, if I am lucky enough, to find an original member or a man present at Fredericksdale (wounded or KIA) to add to my collection.

But the knowledge and history are the really important things which is why I have joined the forum.

Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

INTRODUCTION 3 years 8 months ago #71080

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Steve

Welcome to the ABW Forum.
Your collecting interests are similar to mine, those Colonial Units take some beating when researching the recipients.

I look forward to hearing of your acquisitions.

Cheers,
Jim

INTRODUCTION 3 years 8 months ago #71084

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4510
Hello Steve and welcome to the forum.

There are quite a few of us who share your interest and will be very interested to hear of your acquisitions and research.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

INTRODUCTION 3 years 8 months ago #71102

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hello and Welcome Steve...…

I am sure that you will enjoy yourself here...…

Have a question..... How can you tell and original.....

Quote.....
I do like to find medals to colonial units, in particular Commander-in-Chief's Bodyguard and look forward to the day when, if I am lucky enough, to find an original member or a man present at Fredericksdale (wounded or KIA) to add to my collection.

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

INTRODUCTION 3 years 8 months ago #71111

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 754
Hi Mike,
I found a couple of lists, one by Meurig listing the original chosen 40 men and also a list by British Medals of all who served with the Bodyguard (including the formation of the regiment in November 1900) with a side note for each man.
When I look at medals on offer for colonial units I cross reference their names against the lists as men served with numerous other colonial units and hope to get lucky!
I would appreciate any advice please to improve my methods.
Steve

INTRODUCTION 3 years 8 months ago #71113

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
No Steve you are doing the same thing that we all do..... Go through list after list after list looking to match names..... I am going through an estate right now from a time when there was no such thing as the internet and we used to photo copy many many pages of any information we could find.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.599 seconds