Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Defence of Mafeking QSA/KSA combination to Crossman, BSA Police 3 years 8 months ago #71025

• Alan Parker
  • Alan Parker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
These medals are currently for sale on EBay, item # 174374168275. The engraved information on them and the clasps are correct by medal rolls and Ancestry for the recipient. BUT the photographs of them show very clean and shiny lettering on the edges of the medals with what appears to be the edging lines of an engraving machine? There is provenance but only back to 2016 when they were sold from someone's collection. The medals themselves look genuine. The clasps look reasonably old, but that is not a reliable sign.
My question is; has anyone met totally new engravings on older medals to be sold as rare clasps?
Thanks Alan Parker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Defence of Mafeking QSA/KSA combination to Crossman, BSA Police 3 years 8 months ago #71026

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
From the photos it looks as though they are ok. The medals don’t look as though they have been reimpresed.
As you say, the naming is very clear, possibly the medals were never worn and spent the majority of a century in some form of storage.
I have a couple of QSA’s that the rim is still sharp and the naming is very clear and the swivel is very tight. Just never worn or played with by kids.

Are they worth $4000.00 Aust, I’ll leave that with you to ponder.

Cheers,
Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Alan Parker

Defence of Mafeking QSA/KSA combination to Crossman, BSA Police 3 years 8 months ago #71029

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Alan,

The edging lines are unusually pronounced on this medal but I note that his KSA was not issued until June 1912 so perhaps the machine used was different then? I don't know when his QSA was issued, presumably January 1904.

As you say, his medals are correct as per the roll. I have been collecting the details of extant DoM medals and Crossman is not someone I have seen before.

So, other than the price, I think these are OK.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Parker

Defence of Mafeking QSA/KSA combination to Crossman, BSA Police 3 years 8 months ago #71149

• Bicolboy59
  • Thank you received: 69

jim51 wrote:
Are they worth $4000.00 Aust, I’ll leave that with you to ponder.

Cheers,
Jim

Judging by recent sales I would say for a dealer the price is within margin. I picked my DoM up last month as a single and landed cost to me was about A$3100 after auction fees, and the 1 I got was the cheapest of the 3 on offer by GBP200, the other 2 singles sold for Hammer 1600 and 1700 respectively.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.710 seconds