TOPIC:

Patrick Urquhart 3 years 10 months ago #69555

• Sharonj
  • Sharonj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good evening from Australia

I have been researching my family connections for many years now but know you can always find more.

Patrick Urquhart was born in Craigellachie, Banffshire in 1880. I knew he served in the Gordon Highlanders in South Africa; a newspaper article stated that he was 2nd Service Company Gordon Highlanders. Anaother article states "he fought at Lang's Nek, and received the Queen's medal and two clasps". He was invalided home in 1901 (does this indicate he was wounded?)

I tried searching this gentleman on your website but drew a blank, so the above is the lump sum total of any information I have on him for the Boer War. I do however have a battered photo of him sitting on a horse in uniform which I presume was taken in the Boer War since it does not match his WW1 uniform.

I would love to find out a bit more about his service during this war. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards
Sharon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Patrick Urquhart 3 years 10 months ago #69558

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Sharon
Welcome to the Forum. In the Gordon Highlanders medal roll (WO100/203 page 450) there is an entry for "148 Pte. P. Urquhart" of 2nd Volunteer Service Company of that regiment who was entitled to the clasps "Cape Colony" and "Laing's Nek" on his Queen's South Africa medal. There is no additional marginal information about him on the medal roll. There is no entry under his name in the casualty listings; which is not uncommon for those invalided home due to sickness.
To verify that "148 Pte. P. Urquhart" is your relative, it is suggested you conduct an on-line check for service papers with one of the commercial sites. I trust that it works out for you.
Even if the above "P.Urquhart" is not your distant relative, an entitlement to the clasp "Laing's Nek" means taking part in an infantryman's role in General Buller's final operations to clear Natal of the enemy. A careful reading of the doings of the Gordons in the Unit Information of this site (panel at left, under the heading Main Menu) might assist bring his Boer War service to life.
Good luck with your quest.
Regards also from OZ
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharonj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds