• Page:

TOPIC:

Help with friends Great Grandfather 3 years 10 months ago #69463

• mactire
  • mactire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all hope everyone is safe and well I haven't been on here in a while so hope I'm posting this request in the right place. I'm helping a friend research his Great Grandfathers service with the British army and hit a brick wall. I have all his WW1 records but I'm stuck on the Boer war side of things. The man in question is John W Whiteley he served with the RFA. I have 2 numbers for him 19806 which is his Boer war number and 101460 which is his ww1 service number. What I'm trying to find out is which medals he recieved in the Boer war. Any help regarding this would be great as we are trying to locate his grave here in Ireland as his name was never added to the head stone. Kindest regards John D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with friends Great Grandfather 3 years 10 months ago #69464

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234
Hi John

His service papers are on Findmypast and these show he didn't serve in South Africa and in fact spent the entire period of the Boer War in India.

David

Help with friends Great Grandfather 3 years 10 months ago #69465

• mactire
  • mactire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks David for replying can I as then did he recieved the India service medal or what medals was he entitled too for this period. Regards john

Help with friends Great Grandfather 3 years 10 months ago #69467

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234
John - His period of service in India is shown as from 12 October 1897 to 27 November 1902. There is no mention of any campaigns fought in or medals awarded on his papers and nothing shows up on a search of the medal rolls on Ancestry.

David

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds