• Page:

TOPIC:

Was the Johannesburg Star a Boer supporter 4 years 3 weeks ago #68147

• Robmolyneux
  • Robmolyneux's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
My paternal grandmother was Eleanor Sheffield daughter of Thomas Sheffield who with his brother George owned and edited the Star, having brought the press from Grahamstown. I was told by a journalist ( in rather strange circumstances ) researching the role of the press in the Boer War that the Star was the only English newspaper to support the boers. Having been born and brought up in South Africa I have always had an interest in the war as such an important part of our formative history. I am not a historian and have been unable to verify this bit of family history but would feel rather proud if it is true. My maternal grandfather fought for the British and stayed on for the rest of his life. If anyone has any information on this subject I would be grateful to hear either way, yes or no. Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was the Johannesburg Star a Boer supporter 4 years 3 weeks ago #68150

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Hello Rob

I for one have never heard this before but it is not to say that the press didn't take sides. I think it highly unlikely though.

Your best bet would be to consult the Star (I think it still exists), ask to be put through to their Archives or find out where back copies of their newspaper are hold (could be in National Archives or a National Library) - Again, I'm flying blind here, but you could determine from the editorial comment and the tone of the reporting, if they were pro-Boer or otherwise.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robmolyneux

Was the Johannesburg Star a Boer supporter 4 years 3 weeks ago #68152

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 180
What a coincidence. I have just written a short biography about Thomas's brother George.

George Wagstaff Sheffield was born in Kidderminster in Worcestershire on 10 February 1849. He was the son the John Sheffield and Jane Stokes who were born in 1820 and 1821 respectively. They were married in Kiderminster in November 1842. George had an elder brother Thomas (born 1847) and three sisters, Mary Jane (born 1844), Harriett (born 1846) and Emma (born 1852).

George’s parents, John and Jane and their 5 children came out to the Cape Colony in 1860 and settled in Grahamstown. From a young age George farmed in the Port Elizabeth disrtrict until 1876, whereafter he joined his elder brother Thomas in Grahamstown as a printer and publisher.

Besides the well known Grahamstown newspaper founded by Thomas Henry Grocott in 1870 the Irishman J.V. O’Brien established a small newspaper in Grahamstown. At first O’Brien employed Thomas as a journeyman printer and subsequently took both brothers into partnership, Thomas assisting in the works while George ran the stationary shop. O’Brien soon left the partnership in order to start The Frontier Guardian in Dordrecht and the Grahamstown paper, renamed The Eastern Star, passed with the business into the hands of the two Sheffield brothers. Their office was at 85 High Street and in accordance with the spirit of the times they proudly called themselves T. & G. Sheffield Steam Printers. For a time the paper received financial support from Dr F.G. Williams, the Dean of Grahamstown, who wanted a mouthpiece through which to voice support for the controversial Bishop Colenso and the paper, although circulating only a few hundred copies per issue, attained an influence out of all proportion to its sales. The death of the Dean in 1885 coupled with a trade depression induced the Sheffield brothers to look elsewhere for business.

Recognising the opportunities in the Transvaal following the discovery of gold the brothers moved to the Witwatersrand in 1887. To facilitate the move they split their Grahamstown business selling the stationary shop and packing the newspaper plant and they travelled by train to the railhead at Kimberley and from there loading all their equipment they travelled to Johannesburg in three wagons where the Eastern Star resumed publication changing its title on 1 April 1889 to The Star. Initially the two brothers occupied a modest brick and iron shack in President Street from which the Eastern Star reappeared on Monday 17 October 1887. At that time there were about 3500 people living in “The Camp” as Johannesburg was then known. Two years later their firm of T & G Sheffield amalgamated with that of the Argus Printing and Publishing Company to establish the foremost newspaper business in Southern Africa. His brother Thomas became the resident director of the Argus Company in Johannesburg and later effectively Chairman from 1895 until his death in 1904.

After Thomas’ death George resigned his position as Secretary of the Argus in order to enter politics in 1907. He was an ardent Churchman and played an important part in Church life in Johannesburg.

George married Julie Radburn on 13 February 1878/1877 and their marriage produced two children, a son named Thomas and a daughter Mabel. He died in Johannesburg on 20 September 1916 aged 67 years.

I will try to post a photograph of the two brothers.

RobM

Was the Johannesburg Star a Boer supporter 4 years 3 weeks ago #68153

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 180
Thomas (seated) and and his brother George Sheffield.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Was the Johannesburg Star a Boer supporter 4 years 3 weeks ago #68156

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Was the Johannesburg Star a Boer supporter 4 years 3 weeks ago #68159

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello Rob Molyneux

I think this should answer your question

Regards
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.537 seconds