• Page:

TOPIC:

Please help 4 years 2 months ago #68042

• Shanty2013
  • Shanty2013's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, I'm Shantelle (username: Shanty2013). From South Africa. New to this awesome group. Have a question and need your help. How do I find a George Jones who fought in the ABW, came from Australia, but stayed got married in South Africa? He is my GG Grandfather. I have minimal information. Just know he rode a horse during and after war. Thanks all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Please help 4 years 2 months ago #68043

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Shantelle
Firstly, welcome to the Forum. Now, to your question - which really is a difficult one to answer straight off. Taking the name "George Jones", the records show that no less than thirteen possibles exist in the various Australian Colonial contingents and the Australian Commonwealth Horse which saw service during the ABW. And then there is the possibility that your GGF took his own passage to SA during the ABW and joined one of the locally recruited regiments. A lot did.
So, what we need to assist you is more information. Even a second fore-name might help. Suggest you do some digging in the family if you can.
Regards
IL.

Please help 4 years 2 months ago #68044

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108
To add to what LinneyI has written, if your GGF stayed in SA for the rest of his life and died there, his deceased estate file ought to be in one of the regional archives. Their online inventory lists estate files for eighteen George Jones, with or without middle names, who died between 1931 and 1964. If his wife's name can be established, it might help to narrow the search.
Regards
Arthur

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds