• Page:

TOPIC:

Lilburns 4 years 9 months ago #64466

• Hatofknowledge
  • Hatofknowledge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi to all, new to the site, I am researching the Lilburn family from the UK. I have some evidence that three family members served in the Boer War.
1) G Lilburn Dragoon Guards 6th Battalion Carabinieris -Killed in Action 10/05/1900 at Verdris Verdrag - 2876
2) G E Lilburn Lincolnshire Regiment - 551 - Sergeant Bugler
3) F Lilburn Yorkshire Light Infantry
I can find number 1 on the site but nothing about the other two - am I missing something?
Hatof knowledge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lilburns 4 years 9 months ago #64471

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Welcome to the forum...…

From find my past:

First name(s) G
Last name Lilburn
Service number 2876
Rank Private
Regiment 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)
Memorials
Chelsea Bridge Road & Chelsea Embankment. Memorial. 6th Dragoon Guards, Chelsea, London, England
Biography
-
Notes
QSA Clasps: P,D,RoK
Event detail
Killed on 10/05/1900 at Vredes Verdrag
Event unit
6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)
Event source
SAFF
Gazetteer
[2726: 2757-2657 not named] a farm in the Orange Free State (Henneman district; Free State), 11 km west of Henneman (Ventersburg Road*). Variant: Vredeverdrag (used by Goldmann). In the action on the Zand River* on 10 May 1900, a squadron of the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons, one of the 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys), one of Australian Horse and two troops of the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) were sent to attack Boer positions on the ridge which commanded a wide area. Although the crest of the southern end was gained, the force retired in the face of a strong counter-attack. The position was taken later in the day when Maj-Gen J.B.B. Dickson's 4th cavalry brigade turned its flank and the burghers were forced to retire. HMG pp.56-57 (map no.39); Goldmann pp.225-227 (third map facing p.462).

Country Great Britain
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Category Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory Boer Wars
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

AND

First name(s) G R
Last name Lilburn
Service number
Rank Trooper
Regiment Unknown
Memorials The Land Of Green Ginger, Front Street, Tynemouth. Plaque Borough, North Shields, Tyne & Wear, England
Biography
-
Event detail Killed on date not known at Bloemfontein
Event unit Unknown
Event source SAFF
Gazetteer
[2926: 2907-2614] the capital of the Orange Free State (Bloemfontein district; Free State). The city and district furnished commandos for the Boer forces (Cmdt P.J. Fourie; Cmdt W.J. Kolbe; Cmdt J.P. Ackerman; Cmdt J.J. Boshoff). As British forces advanced from the west, President M.T. Steyn left by train on the evening of 12 March 1900 and the city was abandoned for Field Marshal Lord Roberts to make a ceremonial entry on the following day. In the early hours of that morning, a party of volunteers commanded by Maj A.G. Hunter-Weston, RE, cut the railway line north of the city; on their return, the party clashed with a Boer piquet and for saving Sapper AJ Webb, RE who became unhorsed, Sgt H. Engleheart, 10th (Prince of Wales's Own) Hussars, was awarded the Victoria Cross. It became the focus for British reinforcements and a military reorganization and on 3 May Roberts left the city to begin his advance on Pretoria*. A prisoner of war camp for burghers and a white concentration refugee camp were established here. From May 1901 the defence of the city and surrounding area was entrusted to some 3,000 South African Constabulary. HMG II pp.230-240 (map no.25), III pp.27ff, IV pp.668 and 701; Times III pp.589ff, IV pp.1-22 and 102, V p.260; Breytenbach V pp.112ff; Wilson II pp.542-545, IV p.574; De Wet pp.72-77; Yardley pp.51-52; Goldmann pp.158-160 (second and third maps facing p.160); Pakenham pp.391ff and 536-538.

Country Great Britain
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Lilburns 4 years 9 months ago #64474

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Missed one from FMP...…

First name(s) C
Last name Lilburn
Sex Unknown
Year 1899-1902
Place Chelsea, County, Middlesex Country, England
Description
On Chelsea Embankment, outside the Royal Hospital grounds, opposite Chelsea Bridge
Memorial type
War memorial
Memorial title
Boer War Memorial to VI Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers). Officers, N.C. Offiers and men killed in action.
War
Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1902
Document link
A document containing detail of the War Memorials in Chelsea
ARNOLD, R., Pte.
BELSHAW, W., Sgt.
BLACKMAN, A., Cpl.
BUTLER, H., Pte.
CALVERT, N.L., Lt.
CHEESEMAN, A., Pte.
COOPER, A.E., Cpl.
ELLIOTT, E., Pte.
ELWORTHY, C.K., Capt.
GRIMES, H., Pte.
HALL, A., Pte.
HYLAND, C., Sgt.
HYLAND, H., Cpl.
LEMON, A., Pte.
LILBURN, C., Pte.
McKELVIE, N., Pte.
MORLE, N., Pte.
MORRIS, T., Lt.
PATON, H., Pte.
REDFERN, R., Cpl.
ROSS, W., Pte.
RUNDLE, W.J.S., Lt., DSO
SERIOR, G.G., ORQMS
SHIRLEY, W., Pte.
SMITH, C., Pte.
TILL, F.E., Lt.
WALES, J., Pte.
WALSH, J., Pte.
WATERS, H., Pte.
WEBB, J., Pte.

Record set Middlesex War Memorials
Category Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory Boer Wars
Collections from England, Great Britain

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Lilburns 4 years 9 months ago #64477

• Hatofknowledge
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you mike an unbelievable detailed and quick response,,, this will really help me to move on.So sincere thanks more comments to follow when I have digested the information
Hatofknowledge
Abingdon
England

Lilburns 4 years 9 months ago #64485

• Hatofknowledge
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Mike --Thank you again for your information. I think that I have now pinned down the three Lilburns

aG Lilburn Dragoon Guards
6th Battalion
Carabinieris 2876 Private Second Boer War 1899-1902
Killed in Action Zand River 10/05/1900
At
Verdris Verdrag

Awarded Queens South Africa Medal and together with 3 Clasps :

Paardeberg

Driefontein

Relief of Kimberley

Comemorated on a memorial Chelsa Embankment to the 6th Dragoon Guards ( but the initials on the memorial are wrong)

b)G E Lilburn Lincolnshire Regiment
1st Volunteer
Battalion 551 Sergeant Bugler Boer War 1899-1902
01/01/1900
Killed in Acton on a date not known at Bloemfontein.
Gallantry Award
Queens South Africa Medal
Commemorated on a memorial in Front Street Tynmouth

c) F Lilburn 2nd (Kings Own) Yorkshire Light Infantry
Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry 4363 Private Boer War 1899-1902
Served at:
Belmont
Modder River
Orange Free State
Transvaal
Queens South Africa Medal

On your comments you have G R Lilburn -- I am sure that this should be G E Lilburn - also you have reference to "Land of Green Ginger Front Street Tynemouth. I have a John Robert Lilburn serving in WW1 from the same address - - Yes Land of Green Ginger is a real place! We have two places of the same name in England, one is Tynemouth the other is Kingston on Hull (old town)

You gave me C Lilburn on the Chelsea Memorial I believe that this should have been G Lilburn because ll the other data fits exactly.
My interest in this goes back 30 years -I have been compiling the Lilburn Tree ( my wifes mother was a Lilburn) I am back to about 1650 Sir John Lilburn (Lilburne= a few spelling variations) but I have widened my interest to the "Lilburn at War" I have 59 Lilburns in WW1 - three of which were Direct family Killed in Action. So plenty to go at.

Hatofknowledge
Abingdon
England

Lilburns 4 years 9 months ago #64486

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
Re. G. E. Lilburn: -

Sergeant-bugler G. Lilburn was a member of the Lincoln companies of the 1st Volunteer Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment, and in the Volunteer Prize Shooting, held on Saturday 23.10.1897, he was awarded the Folkestone Vase, making the second-highest total. (Lincoln, Stamford, and Rutland Mercury, 29.10.1897)

The previous year, in the same competition, he was fourth and was awarded the Chaplin Cup.

On Boxing Day 1893, as a private, he won first prize, a turkey, in the Christmas prize shooting competition.

Boxing Day 1887 saw Private G. E. Lilburn finish 13th in the Lincoln companies of the 1st Volunteer Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment's Christmas prize shooting competition. He won a tea pot. A Sergeant G. Lilburn finished 53rd.

Corporal G. E. Lilburn was second in the monthly challenge cup between the A, B, and C Companies of the 1st Vol. Batt. Lincs. Regt., on Saturday 18.7.1896.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatofknowledge

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds