Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Quarter Master Sergt. A Owen Indian Subordinate Veterinary Department 4 years 10 months ago #63594

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315

Queen’s South Africa Medal Q.M.S.Farr. A. Owen I.S.V.D
King’s South Africa Medal 3592 S.SERJT:-FAR: A. Owen. VET,DEPT
1914 Star S.R./29 CPL A.OWEN. A.V.C.
British War Medal SR-29. A.SJT A.OWENS A.V.C
Victory Medal SR-29 A.OWENS A.V.C
Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal STAFF SEIGT FARRA A OWEN I.V.DEPT
Meritorious Service Medal S.S.FR A.OWEN,I.V.C

Unfortunately the Silver Wound Badge No 274376 is missing.

There are 6 QSA & KSAs issued to the Indian Subordinate Veterinary Department.

I have just had the old suspender exchanged from the "home made one the medal came with. The medal also had the two dated clasps loose on the carriage.

Born 1871 in the Parish of St. John’s Reading, and living at 6 Kennet side with his mother and eldest sister at the time of the 1871 census.

Alfred Owen attested at Canterbury (the home depot) on the 14th January 1890 for service in the 18th Hussars. He had previous service in the 4th Battalion Oxford Light Infantry. Alfred put as his trade a Farrier. He was 5’5 ¾” tall 127 lbs, brown hair, hazel eyes and a fresh complexion.

The 18th Hussars embarked for India 20 November 1889, and in 1895 were at Umballa. Alfred joined them on the 10th December 1890. By 1896 he was a Staff Sergt. Farrier and had extended his service to complete 12 years. Posted to the UAL India 30th March 1896 for service with the ISVD. While in South Africa, Alfred signed on to complete 21 years with the colours. On returning to India after the Boer War (19th November 1903) he joined the 14th Hussars.

LS&GC M IAO 560 of Oct 1908

He was discharged at Woolwich, 30th June 1911 having served 21 years and 174 days Conduct Exemplary and “thoroughly sober, honest and trustworthy” and a farrier by trade.
To reside at 166 King’s Road, Reading with his sister

Attested in the AVC for WWI 8th August 1914. Regimental number SR 29. Appointed Paid Acting Sergt 20th November 1914. Served France 23rd October 1914 to 30th August 1915 and again 9th January 1916 to 5th October 1917. Finally discharged 1st December 1917 “unfit for war service”.

Of interest is the letter that came with the medals

"Dear Madam Herewith is forwarded to your care and possession the silver medal for Meritorious Service awarded by the government of India to Farrier Staff Sergeant A.Owen 14Th Hussars and India Veterinary Corps since deceased as being the holder of his other Military Decorations and surviving next of kin. Kindly acknowledge receipt on the enclosed form Yours Faithfully (then signature) for Colonel I/c Cavalry Records."

A case of a man who did not live long to enjoy his Meritorious Service Medal pension
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds