Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

BAKENLAAGTE 4 years 11 months ago #63470

• Peter Jordi
  • Peter Jordi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 41
Hi

After Pretoria: The Guerilla War at page 834 refers to the aftermath of the battle of Bakenlaagte which took place on 30 October 1901. It mentions that an `immense mass of evidence officially collected' relating to the aftermath of the battle showed `how total was the absence of discipline in the Boer forces, how incomplete was the control of their men by the commandants, and how brutal was the temper of those who could thus maltreat and murder the suffering.' It appears that 75 men lodged statements concerning the events of that day and officers reported on it to Lord Kitchener. Detail is given regarding the deaths of certain named men including, for example, Rifleman 1902 F Foster K.R.R.C.

As I am trying to research the involvement In the battle of a member of the King's Royal Rifle Corps who was severely wounded there, I was wondering whether that evidence may refer to my man directly.

Does anyone know where that mass of evidence may now be, since I can find no reference to it in the South African National archives?

Best regards

Peter Jordi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BAKENLAAGTE 4 years 11 months ago #63476

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Peter,

I am not aware of this documentation. I do have a handwritten account of Bakenlaagte which I can check for mentions.

One place it may be referenced is in the Royal Commission on the War perhaps?
Dr David Biggins

BAKENLAAGTE 4 years 11 months ago #63477

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
There is only one mention of Bakenlaagte/Brakenlaagte/Baakenlaagte in the UK archives and that is not the information you are seeking.

Another possibility is that the documentation is contained in the subsets of W0108.
Dr David Biggins

BAKENLAAGTE 4 years 11 months ago #63478

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Major Crum's account does not make any mention of it: www.angloboerwar.com/books/36-crum-with-...umnoctober-19th-1901
Dr David Biggins

BAKENLAAGTE 4 years 11 months ago #63483

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=303139052927&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

BAKENLAAGTE 4 years 11 months ago #63490

• Peter Jordi
  • Peter Jordi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 41
Hi

Thanks to you all for your insights and advice.

Best regards
Peter Jordi

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.959 seconds