Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

General enquiries 4 years 11 months ago #63199

• G wills
  • G wills's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi. I'm trying to find out any information about a relative of mine J Wills pt 2617 2nd Northampton. A medal was handed down to me recently of his so looking for and information possible. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals 4 years 11 months ago #63200

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Welcome to the forum...…
From Find My Past...…

Mike

First name(s) W
Last name Wills
Service number 2617
Rank Private
Regiment 2 Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment
Biography
-
Event detail Wounded on 23/11/1899 at Belmont
Event unit 2 Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment
Event source SAFF
Gazetteer

[2924: 2925-2423] a village in the Cape Colony (Herbert district; Northern Cape), 35 km north-east of Hopetown, and station on the railway line northwards through De Aar and Kimberley. It is located on a farm of the same name which belonged to one Thomas Belmont was one of three defensive positions held by the Boers under Asst Cmdt-Gen P.A. Cronjé‚ on the line between the Orange River and Kimberley*. It was occupied by a commando of 300 Fauresmith burghers under Cmdt G. van der Merwe on 19 October 1899. On 10 November 1899, Lt-Col H. de la P. Gough on reconnaissance from the Orange River skirmished with this commando in the hills east of Belmont and in a short engagement two officers (Lt-Col C.E. Keith-Falconer, The Northumberland Fusiliers, and Lt C.C. Wood, The Loyal North Lancashire regiment) were immediately killed and two wounded, Gough being forced to retire. In the march to relieve Kimberley, Lt-Gen Lord Methuen's force left the northern bank of the Orange River on 20 November 1899 and two days later arrived at the Boer positions in hilly country east of Belmont station. The battle of Belmont took place in the early morning of 23 November, the British driving the Boer commandos northwards, but at the cost of 297 men killed, wounded and missing to losses by the Free State commandos of under 150. By December, Belmont was garrisoned by the Royal Canadian regiment, Munster Fusiliers and Queensland mounted infantry and 'P' battery, Royal Horse Artillery. To suppress the rebellion in Griqualand, Lt-Gen Sir C. Warren established the headquarters of his expeditionary force in Belmont on 6 May 1900. HMG I pp.216-228, 308 and 386 (map no.10), III pp.17-18 (map no.43); Times II pp.290 and 325-333 (map facing p.330), III p.110; Breytenbach I (map facing p.406), II cap.II (map facing p.36); Wilson I pp.52, 132 and 135-144.

Country Great Britain
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Category Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory Boer Wars
Collections from Great Britain, UK None
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

General enquiries 4 years 11 months ago #63204

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
What a super thing to inherit, that is actually quite a scarce medal.

G wills wrote: Hi. I'm trying to find out any information about a relative of mine J Wills pt 2617 2nd Northampton. A medal was handed down to me recently of his so looking for and information possible. Thanks.

General enquiries 4 years 11 months ago #63209

• G wills
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks. On this site it's says his first initial is W but on the medal is J. Would like to find out his full name. All the rest of the information is correct. Want to find out his first name. Have been told he was my grandads uncle. Any information would b appreciated. Thanks.

General enquiries 4 years 11 months ago #63210

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Sadly, no service papers have survived for him.
Dr David Biggins

General enquiries 4 years 11 months ago #63211

• G wills
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I will post a pic of the medal tomorrow

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds