• Page:

TOPIC:

George Graham Gore Southey 5 years 1 month ago #62498

• DonMciver
  • DonMciver's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi forum, my name is Don McIver, from Joburg and living in Vancouver. My brother and I are working on family ancestry; he focused on the ancestry, while I seem to have taken to “On Active Service”.

My great-grandfather, George Graham Gore Southey is said by our family to have been active in the SBW and the “Rebellion”, the following from my grandmother’s memoirs:
“Dad became Chief Guide to Colonel Byng during the war …” (Colonel Byng … tasked with raising and commanding the South African Light Horse during the Second Boer War.)
“When the Rebellion broke out Dad had to go off and …”

Being new to this have searched randomly for nominal roles, SALH, Chief Guide, Field Intelligence Department etc. with little success.

George Graham Gore Southey (1873-1933)

We have a family picture of him on Spion Kop at the monument in later years, with his daughter, my grandmother. Imagine that experience, visiting a battlefield with your father who fought there. I’d love to find the story behind GGG Southey. Thanks, Don
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

George Graham Gore Southey 5 years 1 month ago #62500

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Don
Welcome to the site. The Field Intelligence Department has been of interest to me for quite a while - and leafing through my FID Reference, I find in the supplementary rolls, one "Guide, Southey, G" who served in the FID from 1.4.01 to 18.11.01 and earned the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and South Africa 1901 on his QSA medal. There is no marginal note to indicate other service.
It is possible that this man is your GGF - although the absence of any reference to the SALH makes it only "possible". Have you had a look through the SALH rolls on this site? Might be worth a look.
Good luck with your quest,
Regards
IL.

George Graham Gore Southey 5 years 1 month ago #62506

• DonMciver
  • DonMciver's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks IL, I did track down a copy of the roll you refer to. Indeed it would be great if SALH roll listed him but no such luck. The search continues, thanks for your response.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds