• Page:

TOPIC:

Letters from my Grandfather to my Grandmother 5 years 4 months ago #61673

• Steve W
  • Steve W's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have inherited about fifty love letters written to my grandmother while my grandfather Charles Arthur Watts was in transit to South Africa and during his tour of duty.
He writes with obvious affection and love but they also cover the war and his experiences of everyday life.
I am in the process of offering them to the National Army Museum as source material as they are a first hand account of the times.
However I would like to know a little about him personally and would welcome advice as to the first place to look?
Steve Watts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Letters from my Grandfather to my Grandmother 5 years 4 months ago #61674

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Steve
Welcome to the Forum. Rather than just reading a book on the subject, personal letters of the nature you describe can certainly throw a more immediate light on events. I would suggest that your first step of your search would be to tell us as much about your GFs military service as you can. For example, his Unit and his Regimental number - if known. With those, it should be possible to look up his medal and clasps entitlement and perhaps some more information in the roll's margin. You might then search one of the commercial sites for any personal papers which may have survived.
This site fields many such requests as yours; sometimes the members are able to help and sometimes not.
Good luck with your search.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Letters from my Grandfather to my Grandmother 5 years 4 months ago #61675

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Steve

He may be 7751 Pte Arthur Charles Watts
25 th Company 7th Btn Imperial Yeomanry.

There are no C A Watts on the site name search, but there is this one A C Watts.
Regards
Adrian
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.536 seconds