• Page:

TOPIC:

QSA MISSING 5 years 7 months ago #60429

• kiltermon
  • kiltermon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
About 4 weeks ago I discovered via the chance discovery of a Boer War record that my Grandad WILLIAM MULVEY born in Bray Co. Wicklow who signed up for 6 years with the militia in Co. Wicklow, Ireland actually was among the volunteers of 5 BTN. ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS who went out to South Africa, he was just 19 years old. I know about his WW1 service but the Boer War information literally came as a 'pull the rug from under me' moment. I have his WW1 medals but his QSA is missing, it has a TRANSVAAL, CAPE COLONY and ORANGE FREE STATE clasp with possibly a 1901 date clasp. I suspect the family may know of it but they refuse to tell me anything since Grandad committed the cardinal sin of fighting for the British instead of the Irish during the troubles in Ireland leading up to 1914. Should anyone anywhere know of the medal and can help me reclaim it I would be so very grateful because I have only two photos of him and 3 medals.
His Boer War regimental number was 4636 and thanks to information found on this site I know he sailed to South Africa on the SS SERVIA on 14th February 1900, I would appreciate knowing anything he and his regiment might have been involved in , he died in October 1918 aged just 36.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds