• Page:

TOPIC:

A Fenn 9th Lancers number 3992 6 years 2 months ago #57423

• dickturpin
  • dickturpin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
researching my granddad his last position c squadron 9th lancers, severely injured magersfontein which led to him being invalided out of army, he was one of the c squadron involved aboard the wardha he was in troop one under lord blackwood the ship involved in tremendous storm off Durban as a young boy he would tell me of his adventures in the army in 50s which included India Muttra,meerrut, from what I can gather started out 5th lancers transferred 9th lancers according to ww1 service record born march 1875 Bermondsey no birth certificate

I am now researching for more evidence as his service record seems to have been destroyed he was at battle of Belmont and Modder river also had clasp for natal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Fenn 9th Lancers number 3992 6 years 2 months ago #57448

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
DickTurpin,

They sound like wonderful stories you were told as a boy.

I have looked for any service papers and, like you, failed to find them.

The medal roll, WO100/116p18 and p57, confirm the 3 clasps, Natal, Belmont, Modder River.

Kind regards
David

Do you have his medal by any chance?

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

A Fenn 9th Lancers number 3992 6 years 2 months ago #57455

• dickturpin
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
thank you for your interest unfortunately his medals have got lost my grandfather died 1961 age well into his eighties full name Alfred Edward fenn when he died Feb. 1961 looking through his personal effects his 3 sons found his army papers which showed he was older than his actual age or he lied about his age his medals I did see more than the 3 mentioned I would be 12 yrs old I believe his eldest son took procession of his military papers and medals he died 1994 they were then the property of his only child who died 2005 who probably sold them or similar so lost to the family so it will be stroke of luck if I come across them.
but his memory is preserved by his narrative when I was young lad around 6yrs old his army number will give me some idea of when he was transferred or even if he kept the same number from 5th lancers which would give a date of prior to 1891, for 1892 he had Christmas card stating Afghanistan my research has already paid some dividends so onwards and upwards
john

A Fenn 9th Lancers number 3992 6 years 2 months ago #57538

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
John,

It is always sad when medals leave the family. We have recorded several re-unites for family over the years so there is hope.

While not his medal, this is a QSA to another man of the 9th Lancers who earned the same clasp combination.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

A Fenn 9th Lancers number 3992 4 years 5 months ago #66903

• dickturpin
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
i see on the site a message concerning the natal medal for c squadron 9th lancers who were aboard the s s wardha 10th oct 1900 who at sea went through a tremendous storm
my grandad 3992 Alfred fenn was aboard on deck he was no 1 troop under lord blackwood he told me when they pitched anchor at Durban on the 9th they were not aloud to disembark as they were told they would continue on to the cape after being unloaded of goods

they set sail weather was fine but on the way on the 10th close to south London an almighty storm blew up the consequences are revealed in
diary of 9th lancers and a letter home by his troop leader lord blackwood

they had to return to Durban they disembarked whilst vetenary sorted out the remaining mounts surprisingly a few survived and went on to the cape but many of the survivors too badly injured and put down

they had to wait for other transport became available Avoca and nevasa they did not sail until 14th oct i believe he stated they got back to Durban late 11 th oct so were in Durban for 2/3 days grandad did say about the natal medal insinuating this was a consequence of the gallantry of the 9th lancers devotion to duty under severe duress he states lord blackwood praised his men of his troop this medal may have been an after thought around 1902 by then was invalided out due to severe wound at magersfontein

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds