• Page:

TOPIC:

New member - 77 Battery RFA interest 6 years 3 months ago #57070

• 77batteryrfa
  • 77batteryrfa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all. Joining because I'm interested in my distant uncle Harry Underwood 19914 77 Bty RFA who served in the Boer War (clasps for Orange Free State & Cape Colony). He was a Sergeant during the Boer war and was recorded in March 1901 resident at Shrapnel Barracks in London. I'm assuming he went to South Africa after March 1901 to take part in the campaign. He survived and has then gone with the army to Fyzabad, India, before being invalided back to England in 1903. I have a photograph of him in uniform with my great-grandparents - probably in 1919 after WW1 when he has been promoted to Captain (started in 1914 as a BSM with 24 Bde). I'd be very interested to know who he served under - possibly Gatacre? I saw that in the medal rolls Harry Underwood is listed with 77 Bty and the OIC is a Major Perceval - same is mentioned in dispatches as being severely wounded at Stormberg December 1899. This is what I haven't confirmed - when/how my relative landed in South Africa and which engagements he would have taken part in. Any suggestions appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member - 77 Battery RFA interest 5 years 7 months ago #60731

• Royal Artillery
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

My Great Grandfather William Weston served in 77 Battery RFA both in India and during the Boer War. I have some details which I can share with you and would interested in anything else you might have.

Chris

New member - 77 Battery RFA interest 5 years 7 months ago #60733

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Chris
Welcome to the Forum. If you are interested in the RA, I am sure you will find much of interest here. My "RA" CD shows "20207 Dvr. W.J.Weston" with 77BTY., RFA. Is that your GGF?
If so, he earned clasps Cape Colony, Transvaal and Wittebergen on his QSA. For background on the activities of 77th Bty., RFA, Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa" includes an entry for that formation.
We would certainly be interested in details of your GGF's service.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds