TOPIC:

Dereham Soldiers - 2nd Boer War 6 years 10 months ago #53641

• Kitty55
  • Kitty55's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi
I've already been researching how many soldiers went from my local town and have so far found 34. I know from a newspaper report that just over 40 went but don't seem to be able to find the rest. So ...

1. Does anyone have any ideas other than searching the usual online sites - i.e. FMP, Ancestry, Genes Reunited, N&MA, FWR, etc. to find them?

AND

2. If anyone is looking for a relative who fought in this part of the war and they came from or lived in East Dereham, Norfolk then I may be able to help them further - all they have to do is ask - I've been researching my local town's history for 50 years next year and so have accumulated quite a lot of information on various places and people.

thanks and take care, Kitty
Interested in anything to do with East Dereham, Norfolk UK. - 3rdVBNR, 5th Norfolks, RAMC etc. Including soldiers from out of town who were stationed in town during a war period.
Worked as trained researcher.
Personal - married to Kenny (42y), mother of 3, nanny of 5 and owner of Percy, the Westie....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dereham Soldiers - 2nd Boer War 6 years 10 months ago #53644

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Afternoon Kitty.......

Good work and......
Thank you for the offer of help......
Is there any chance that you could list the names that you have found as there may be some medals in collections......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kitty55

Dereham Soldiers - 2nd Boer War 6 years 10 months ago #53660

• Kitty55
  • Kitty55's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi
I will sort them out once I'm surer of who was in what - i.e. village lads and those from town – I know they were all in the 3rdVBNR but I've still got a few to check on. Also it's the first time this list has been compiled so I'd like to keep it as my copyright if that's alright because it's part of a forth coming War book.

:huh: I had originally thought of the Boer War town soldiers’ letters and the events within town during the period as a lead up to the Great War but I've already got over 94 x A4 pages of articles, photos etc., so it looks like there might be a Dereham and the Boer War Book as well as one on the Great War.

However I'm not 100% certain yet though, but if Chapter 1 is coming in at that amount I've no idea how long the Great War one will end up at. :whistle:

People always say I know more than I think I do and it's not until I start writing for a show or a book that I realise they might be right - but oh, I'm a knowledge bug and love learning more and there's so much more to learn.:woohoo: I enjoy researching so much - all the puzzles and bits to fit together - I know many times they don't go together for ages but I've learnt over the last 50 years that most usually do in the end if you persevere long enough. :P

thanks and take care, Kitty
Interested in anything to do with East Dereham, Norfolk UK. - 3rdVBNR, 5th Norfolks, RAMC etc. Including soldiers from out of town who were stationed in town during a war period.
Worked as trained researcher.
Personal - married to Kenny (42y), mother of 3, nanny of 5 and owner of Percy, the Westie....

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds