• Page:

TOPIC:

Boer War Photo - British or Australian? 6 years 11 months ago #53253

• Boughtp
  • Boughtp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I am looking for my Ancestor Clifford Henry Boughton who is believed to have died in the Boer War from fever. According to the family he was a doctor. I have searched the Boer Records on line and can not find him anywhere. Our surname does have variants including Broughton, Bowden, Baughton amongst others but I still can't find him. I have attached a photo and hope that someone can identify if it is British or Australian or other which may lead me to finding him.

Thank You in Advance for your help
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War Photo - British or Australian? 6 years 11 months ago #53254

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Photos......

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Boer War Photo - British or Australian? 6 years 10 months ago #53617

• cc
  • Thank you received: 7
It seems there was quite a variation in kit. I notice a lot of the Aussies have the sunburst emblem on their uniform or pinned up hat brim. but not all. I Googled Australian Boer War Soldier's Uniforms and found one that resembles your kin's: www.bwm.org.au/images/contingents/TMI.jpg
Looks like the same bandolier, but who knows. Apparently some Aussies served in British units.
gmic.co.uk/topic/44522-the-scottish-hors...-boer-war-1899-1902/
Brits tended more to helmets than floppies. But I doubt there were really strict uniform of the day orders when the going got tough.

Boer War Photo - British or Australian? 6 years 10 months ago #53620

• Boughtp
  • Boughtp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank You for the info which is really interesting. I have now discovered where in SA my ancestor is buried and do know that he travelled to both the USA and Australia before the Boer War. He didn't actually die in South Africa until July 1910 so it looks as if he stayed there after the war and worked in the local hospital in Pretoria. I have not been able to find his military records unfortunately so they may be lost but it's been quite a journey tracing his story. Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.729 seconds