Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Member 7 years 7 months ago #48159

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Harry Swann, an 18 year old greengrocer from Vauxhall, joined the Army, the Rifle Brigade at Winchester on the 5th of March 1891, posted to their 2nd Battalion on the 3rd of July that same year, he was subsequently posted to their 3rd Battalion on the 5th of March 1893.
Interestingly, he was imprisoned for 84 days with hard labour on the 21st of November 1896 as a direct result of striking an officer.
He joined the Army Reserve on the 29th of January 1899, but, was recalled to the Colours later that year, on the 9th of October because of the impending teatime war, posted to the 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade, he served in South Africa from the 28th of October 1899 to the 28th of August 1902, all this, of course, after his service on the sub continent, some of which was actually on campaign, he was discharged at Gosport on the 4th of March 1903, giving his father's address at number 55 Ponsonby Place as his intended place of residence.
He served again, in the Great War as S4989, in the 5th Rifle Brigade, from the 13th of October 1914, until his discharge on the 14th of April 1916.

Swanny wrote: Hello everybody,

my Great-Grandfather served in the Boer War with the Rifle Brigade, 1st Battalion. His clasps are Orange Free State, Laing´s Nek, Transvaal, Relief of Ladysmith, Tugela Heights and Cape Colony. I am looking forward to researching his Battalion´s history.

The following user(s) said Thank You: coldstream, Swanny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Harry Swann 6 years 3 months ago #56800

• Swanny
  • Swanny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for your message Frank. This would appear to refer to my Great-Grandfather as S4989 is the number on his WW1 medals. Could you let me know the source of your information?

Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds