Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

frank symons dcm munster fusiliers or kings royal rifles 12 years 1 week ago #2533

• GRAHAM BRADBURY
  • GRAHAM BRADBURY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
I am researching a Frank Symons who served in SA in the Kings Royal Rifles (sn. 5378)I Have his service record, photographs etc & a incomplete old newspaper cutting detailing how he got his first DCM. He does appear to have been attached or with the Munster Fusiliers when he displayed heroic action & was awarded the DCM 15th feb 1901. Records show (mistakenly ?)that he was serving with the Munsters. Understandably recording of details can incur errors. I am trying to determine the location of his heroic act, & the other soldiers involved. He nearly was awarded the VC.(please see the attachment)

Regards Graham Bradbury (Member of the Anglo Boer war Philatelic Society & Chairman of the Shropshire Family History Society)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: frank symons dcm munster fusiliers or kings royal rifles 12 years 1 week ago #2536

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Morning Graham and welcome to the forum!

The published DCM roll has the following details:

158 Pte F Symons. R. Munster Fusiliers; LG 27.9.01; AO 15/02; initial corrected
LG 24.2.03

There is no indication of why he received his award. As you will know, there were many awarded on 27 Sep 01.

I am guessing that the Army Order (AO) will not contain any further details.

His KSA entry (WO100/339p205) confirms KSA (2) and his prior service the 1st RMF. The roll notes he was discharged in SA on 31 Aug 1902.

The QSA roll (WO100/196p74) says the issue of the QSA was authorised on the 1st RMF roll and says he joined the KRRC 21 May 01.

That doesn't help with award of the DCM.

He is listed under the MIDs as a reservist and with the wrong initial but with no details.

Is there much in the way of RMF regimental histories? Th Regimental Museum perhaps?

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds