• Page:

TOPIC:

Types of rifle 12 years 1 month ago #2412

• Railton
  • Railton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Can anyone tell me what types of rifle were used in the Second Boer War? Lee-Enfield? Lee-Metford? Lee-Enfield carbine?

I am particularly interested in whar rifle/carbine would have been used by the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Types of rifle 12 years 1 month ago #2414

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Regulars sent early on had Lee-Metford rifle. Cavalry had Lee-Metford carbine. Later arrivals had Lee-Enfield versions. Artillery, etc., had Martini-Enfield or perhaps Martini-Metford carbines. Locally recruited units often had Martini based .303" rifles (i.e., the ILH at Elandslaagte). Some local units had .45" MH rifles; judging from pix. From what I have seen in pics, the Yeomanry had MLE rifles.
Hope this helps.

Re: Types of rifle 12 years 1 month ago #2416

• Railton
  • Railton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for that. However, I understand that the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry were mounted troops so I would guess that they had the carbines and that these were used as they were more easily handled being shorter. Could anyone confirm this?

Re: Types of rifle 12 years 1 month ago #2417

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Dear Railton; IY were regarded as mounted infantry and were armed with the infantry Lee-Enfield. That statement is based on photo evidence and other published sources. I suppose that an officer/NCO of any unit might carry a LMC/LEC if he wanted to (and was able to get one)and possibly so might a Yeoman. The LMC is certainly more easily handled than the rifle but has a much heftier kick! Again, hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Railton

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds