TOPIC:

Mike Walker 12 years 2 months ago #1864

• mikewalker
  • mikewalker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi everyone,
I am a retired teacher living in Somerset.
My grandfather - George Henry Burn from Shirley, Warwicks. fought in the Boer War.
I have found a photo in the family album which shows him sitting with a group of officers.
I am trying to discover where he fought and what regiment/batallion he fought with.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Congratulations on such a fine resource!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Mike Walker 12 years 2 months ago #1866

• thedevoniun
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
:) Hi Mike
I am also a Walker what's the odds on that on the same day?
All I have to work on is two Medals one QV & one Edward VII and the letters M.P.R.F.F could be something to do with the Police.
best wishes
robert walker B)

Re: Mike Walker 12 years 2 months ago #1869

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45

mikewalker wrote: Hi everyone,
I am a retired teacher living in Somerset.
My grandfather - George Henry Burn from Shirley, Warwicks. fought in the Boer War.
I have found a photo in the family album which shows him sitting with a group of officers.
I am trying to discover where he fought and what regiment/batallion he fought with.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Congratulations on such a fine resource!

Hello Mike, welcome aboard !
Here's a possible match. There was a Pte. George Henry Burn [No.20964] in the 16th(Worcestershire) Company, 5th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry. He seems to be the only GH Burn on the Queen South Africa Medal (QSA) rolls that I can find [QSA with Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & South Africa 1902 clasps]. The roll says GH Burn but I checked elsewhere and found his name was George Henry Burn. The 16th Coy was raised in 1900.

The photo looks post Boer War to me; WWI or there abouts. You note that your grandfather is sitting. Of the three men sitting two are wearing a single medal ribbon. If one of them is your grandfather I presume that ribbon would be for his QSA.

If he was a officer in WWI it is very likely that his file is in TNA. That would give details of any previous service so you would be able to confirm if the man by the same name in the 16th Coy, IY is your grandfather. IY attestation papers are also held by TNA.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Mike Walker 12 years 2 months ago #1872

• mikewalker
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Mark,
Many many thanks.
My grandfather is sitting on the bottom right and does not seem to be wearing a ribbon!
I think I can see pips on his shoulder so this would make him an officer wouldn't it?
My grandmother had an inscribed silver cigarette case which had been presented to my grandfather from fellows he served with in the Boer War. It had an enamel face depicting a cavalry officer on a horse. Regrettably that has disappeared!
She mentioned he had been involved in the seige of Ladysmith...I think.
Best regards
Mike

Re: Mike Walker 12 years 2 months ago #1873

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Mike,
Other than the 20964 Pte. George Henry Burn in the 16th(Worcestershire) Company, 5th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry [this man had neither Defence of Ladysmith or Relief of Ladysmith clasps. Nor did he have Natal so wasn't involved in Ladysmith in any way.] the only other George Burn's or G Burn's I can find in the QSA rolls are 2647 Pte George Burn, 4th Bn Railway Pioneer Regiment [He gives his wife's name as Jessie Burn of 72 Diana St, Roath Park, Cardiff. He gives his age as 38; that being in March 1901. His QSA has Transvaal and South Africa 1901 clasps. This man wasn't involved with Ladysmith.]; and a Boy/Writer George H Burn who was in the Royal Navy on HMS Pelorus.

The cigarette case with the "cavalry officer" might point to Imperial Yeomanry. IY, especially in the early days of the war tended to be from the land-owning or upper middle classes who could ride and shoot well. Certainly, the type of man that could be commissioned later if he reentered the service.

Attestation papers for the IY can be found WO 128 (index in WO 129) at The National Archives. Also, if he was later an officer his service record very likely survives. There is an index in WO 338 and records can be found in WO 339 or WO 374. If he continued to serve after 1920 the record is likely still with the Ministry of Defence.

Hopefully another member will be able to come up with something for you. Other than that it would seem that The National Archives likely hold the answers to your questions.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Mike Walker 12 years 2 months ago #2035

• mikewalker
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Mark,

I have discovered that the County Boundaries between Worcestershire and Warwicks were altered in 1911.
This means , I hope , that the George Henry Burn is indeed my grandfather.He was living in Yardley which was in Worcester in 1900. Interestingly , I think his brother , Frederick Burn joined up at the same time.
I have initiated a search at the TNA - Is there any other way off accessing his service record?
Best wishes and thanks
Mike

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds