TOPIC:

lance Cpl George Dowie R I regt 12 years 4 months ago #1551

• stav01
  • stav01's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I am trying to get information on Lce Cpl George Dowie who was killed on monument hill on the 7-8 Jan 1901. Pte John Barry VC was killed in the same action.

thanks in advance

Stav

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: lance Cpl George Dowie R I regt 12 years 4 months ago #1553

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
All I have on 4348 L/Cpl George Dowie of the 1st Bn Royal Irish Regiment is that he is listed as being killed on 8 January 1901 at Belfast. I can find only one return for a QSA dated 15 August 1903, Middelburg, TVL noting him as 'deceased' and listing a South Africa 1901 clasp. It is noted that application for his QSA had already been made under Army Order 94 of 1901. It indicates that his unit for this was 1st RI but I can't locate him on this return which lists many men who have the Belfast clasp and is dated 25 July 1901, Lydenberg. 3733 Pte John Barry VC is listed on this return and is noted as 'deceased.'

Cheers,

Mark

Re: lance Cpl George Dowie R I regt 12 years 4 months ago #1564

• stav01
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Mark.

thanks for the reply. Lce Cpl Dowie is listed as a drummer while serving in Egypt in 1882 with the Royal Irish.I am writing an article on Pte John Barry VC. Both soldiers died in the same action on monument hill. The were part of 12 brigade under the command of general Smith-Dorrien. I am also very interested in a draft of 150 soldiers from the 5th Militia Bn of the R Irish which i believe arrived in South Africa in 1900.
thanks again.

Re: lance Cpl George Dowie R I regt 12 years 4 months ago #1567

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Stav, Dowie would seem to a most interesting chap. I see he is listed as a drummer (No.2135) in the 2nd Bn Royal Irish Regiment and Alexandria 8th in Egypt with medal and Tel-el-Kebir clasp in the two rolls I have. So it would appear at some point he changed battalions.

Sorry can't help out with draft from the 5th Militia Bn of the R Irish. Not sure if this is any help but I have these names as Royal Irish casualties on 8 January 1901 at Belfast:
3733 Pte John Barry VC
1198 Pte J Colwell
3614 L/Cpl J Dennison
4348 L/Cpl George Dowie
5295 Pte M Dundon
Capt F L Fosbery
858 Pte W Grindon
6449 Pte M McGrath
3439 Pte J Shea

Cheers,

Mark

Re: lance Cpl George Dowie R I regt 12 years 4 months ago #1577

• stav01
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
hi steve.

I know that Capt Fosbery and Pte john Barry were part of a draft. Sent from India in 1900 to reinforce the the 1st Bn. I know that in April 1900 the 1st Bn had a full compliment of officers and over 1150 Ncos and men. It is very interesting realy but difficult to get further information. Another officer from the 5th Militia BN of the Royal Irish Regiment died in 1900 I think. His name was Captain Sir John Power who was attached to the imperial Horse. There is a stained glass window commerating him in Kilkenny City Ireland

best regards.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds