TOPIC:

John Game medal 12 years 4 months ago #1531

• dave59
  • dave59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
Does anybody have any information about John Game.
His medal QSA with seven bars Belfast, Diamond Hill, Johannesburg, Driefontein, Paardeberg, Modder river & Belmont were lot 083 sold at Spinks in Bloomsbury London on November 24th.
He appears according to my wifes side of the family tree to be her great grandmothers brother.
We would be grateful for any information about this mans service as we knew nothing about him until we saw an article about the medal sale.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: John Game medal 12 years 4 months ago #1532

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hello Dave, welcome and good to have you aboard. I don't really have any information on Pte. John Game's Boer War service other than he was in the Royal Marines Light Infantry and was on the HMS Powerful. His number was Ply. 6451. I have copies of three pages with his name on from the QSA roll confirming the seven clasps. What I can add is that he served in the Royal Marines during World War I and earned the British War Medal 1914-20. If you would like copies of the pages from the rolls send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: John Game medal 12 years 4 months ago #1533

• Mark Wilkie
Another piece of info I can add is that Pte. John Game lists his closest relative as his sister; Mrs. J. Peppercorn, 25 Histon Road, Cambridge.

Re: John Game medal 12 years 4 months ago #1535

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
That's an impressive response Mark.

Do you know the on-line status of the Naval service papers? Are they available on FMP?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: John Game medal 12 years 4 months ago #1539

• Mark Wilkie

djb wrote: That's an impressive response Mark.

Do you know the on-line status of the Naval service papers? Are they available on FMP?

Best wishes
David

Thanks, David! a couple of lucky hits. First time I've looked for someone in the RMLI. I don't know about RN and RMLI service papers on FMP but I do know that various service records can be found in the online NA ( www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/look...es.htm?WT.lp=rg-3189 ).

I had a quick search but came up with nothing. However, the NA seems to have search troubles frequently so I wouldn't dismiss searching until frequent searches have been done at different times over several days. This morning I can't find my great grandfather and great grand uncle's RN service records despite knowing that they are most definitely on the NA as that's where I got my copies from. The RM division is needed to do a search. In the case of John Game his division was "Plymouth."

Cheers,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds