TOPIC:

hello 12 years 5 months ago #1523

• stoney43
  • stoney43's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
hi all
Dave here family history brings me here Grandfather J. Stone turned up in the 1901 census as on leave from E.D.R.G.A as he was in Durham I spent ages looking for an East Durham regiment untill I found out it was Eastern Division.
So reasearching 11 coy E.D.R.G.A. from about 1890 untill 1914. He served through from 1914 to 1918 when he was discharged class p. record burned in ww2.
so mostly trying to follow through muster rolls,medal rolls ect hopeing for a bit of help in this direction.
Dave
where did grandad serve last heard of in 1901 serving in 11coy EDRGA. and 116 heavy battery rga

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: hello 12 years 4 months ago #1540

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Dave, I can't really find anything on a J.Stone specifically from 11 coy E.D.R.G.A. Be aware that in January 1902 the three divisions (Eastern, Western, Southern) of Royal Garrison Artillery were broken up and the companies re-numbered. So if he was serving with 11 Coy. Eastern Division R.G.A. before Jan 1902 it would have been renumbered as 77 Coy. RGA after the 1902 changes. If he was in 11 Coy. RGA after 1902 he would have been in 15th Coy. Eastern Division R.G.A. before the 1902 changes. As far as I know 15 companies of RGA served in South Africa between 1899-1902.

Cheers,

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoney43

Re: hello 12 years 4 months ago #1545

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4518
Dave,

There are a few men named J Stone on the RFA rolls. Do you have the regimental number for your grandfather?

One possibility would be that he served abroad at the time but not in South Africa.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoney43

Re: hello 12 years 4 months ago #1546

• stoney43
  • stoney43's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks for the replys
I dont have any more information of his service apart from a few family stories.
he reenlisted or was called back off reserve in 1914
Stones Thomas Serial No. 3720 later changed to 278720.
Enlisted 4th September 1914.
116. Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery.
Qualifing date for entry into France. 24th October 1914.
I did find 3 medal cards at national archives with Stones T. and Stones F. same regimental No. I have 1 Photo of him and it appears he was wearing a SWB badge but its just a round blob on his lapel not very clear so my guess is SWB.
Dave.
where did grandad serve last heard of in 1901 serving in 11coy EDRGA. and 116 heavy battery rga

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds