• Page:

TOPIC:

William Langley 12 years 5 months ago #1509

• medik
  • medik's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

My maternal grandfather, William Langley (1880-1953) served with the Grenadier Guards in the Boer War. I have his Queen's South Africa medal which has two clasps, South Africa 1901and Cape Colony and a photograph of a Field Hospital in Hanover Road (I guess I should go to the Place part of the Forum).
His regimental number was 8847.
I cannot find mention of him in any of the on-line listings consulted so far. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: William Langley 12 years 5 months ago #1511

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi medik, I can find three W Langleys in the 3rd Grenadier Guards who served in South Africa on the QSA rolls. One being 8847 L/Cpl W Langley. The other two served earlier in the War. Their numbers being 3757 and 7651.

The first roll listing 8847 L/Cpl W Langley is dated 30 June 1902, and the place is given as Hanover Road, Cape Colony. Strangely clasps on this one are listed as "nil." The second roster, 3rd GG Supplementary roll, dated 1 December 1902, Aldershot, lists Cape Colony and South Africa 1902 clasps for 8847 Pte. W Langley.

It would appear from the rolls that he saw service in 1902 during the final months of the war. It seems strange that on his QSA he has SA 1901 instead of SA 1902. Guess he probably got issued the wrong date clasp and just left it.

If you would like copies of the two pages from the roll pm me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: William Langley 12 years 5 months ago #1517

• medik
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Mark
Thanks for this prompt and helpful response. You obviously have the correct William Langley. The comment about the clasp being incorrectly dated reveals a mistake on my part. I went back to the medal with a magnifying glass and found that it was indeed dated "1902"..... I had better take an eye-check!
It would be great to have a copy of the medal details. I am [email protected]
kind regards
Mike

Re: William Langley 12 years 5 months ago #1518

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45

medik wrote: Mark
Thanks for this prompt and helpful response. You obviously have the correct William Langley. The comment about the clasp being incorrectly dated reveals a mistake on my part. I went back to the medal with a magnifying glass and found that it was indeed dated "1902"..... I had better take an eye-check!
It would be great to have a copy of the medal details. I am [email protected]
kind regards
Mike

Glad to have been able to help, Mike. I'll get the copies off to you now.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: William Langley 12 years 4 months ago #1561

• PeterG
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
HI, Did William Langley have a close relative Douglas Arnold Langley - who is a son of of a langley who served in the ABW?

Re: William Langley 12 years 4 months ago #1595

• medik
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Peter,
No, I'm afraid 'my' William Langley did not have a relative Douglas Arnold. Thanks for your interest.
Mike

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds