Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Free State burghers in the British Colonial Forces 12 years 5 months ago #1382

• FSburgher
  • FSburgher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm new to this wonderful forum, and live in Welkom in the Free State Province; I hope to learn from fellow contributors and at the same time make a positive contribution to the issues and questions asked by subscribers. Actions, individuals and Boer War events in the Northern Free State are my primary interest.:)
My Great Grandfather Alfred Leo Whitfield was Sargeant Major in the Kroonstad Scouts, and I'd like more info about this particular unit. His brother D.R. Whitfield served in the Kimberley TG and lived for years after the BW in Klerksdorp. Please contact me. Tkx Evyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Free State burghers in the British Colonial Forces 12 years 5 months ago #1386

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Evyn, good to have you on board. Your Great Grandfather sounds a very interesting man. It appeared he started the war fighting as a Boer but switched sides after the Boers burnt down his farm because he was "English." This treatment prompted him to join the British and he is credited with raising the Kroonstad Scouts which was run along the lines as a "Boer Commando" using guerrilla tactics to fight the Boers.

I had a quick look on the QSA roster for him but wasn't able to turn up anything on his QSA. However, I see his name appears on the Boer War Casualty lists. He is listed as having died in Kroonstad on 22 Feb 1901. I also found an article on him in Rootsweb:
archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/S...E/2011-03/1300388220

I found Pte. D.Whitfield's in the Kimberley TG QSA roster showing QSA with Defence of Kimberley clasp.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Free State burghers in the British Colonial Forces 12 years 5 months ago #1387

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Welcome to Evyn and thanks to Mark for providing interesting background to the Whitfield family.

Regards to you both.
Brett

Re: Free State burghers in the British Colonial Forces 12 years 5 months ago #1388

• FSburgher
  • FSburgher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Mark,
How sure are you of the facts surrounding Alfred Whitfield's BW record?

I have still to find a medal roll or attestation record for the Kroonstad Scouts.
Was Alfred ever recruited into the service of the Vrystaat Republiek? proof please.

The story of burning of the farm house at "Matjespan" is a family legend.I understand that orders from a Komm. Kloppers from the W. Transvaal is given as the reason for the burning, but that is speculation. War in any form is terrible & devilish, without sense,so who knows the reason exactly?.
If you have proof other than the story in publication "Country Life" I'd like to have a copy.

David W. was in Kimberley at the time of the seige and his brother Charlie W. was in Mafeking in that seige.
Do you have access to the booklet "Vicissitudes of a Transvaal dorp" =Klerksdorp written in 1901 by H.M.Guest.
Many other interesting stories in the booklet may be of interest to you.

I have recently had a visit to the Kroonstad Boer war cemetery, and found it in the most derelict condition. Totally pityful, and I'm trying to raise the awareness of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to invest some capital and time to rectify the situation. No response :S has yet been received to my emails or to my tel. call to the British Embassy. my mobile is 0828016837.
Regards ECT

Re: Free State burghers in the British Colonial Forces 12 years 5 months ago #1394

• klerksdorp_historian
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3

FSburgher wrote:
I have recently had a visit to the Kroonstad Boer war cemetery, and found it in the most derelict condition. Totally pityful, and I'm trying to raise the awareness of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to invest some capital and time to rectify the situation. No response :S has yet been received to my emails or to my tel. call to the British Embassy. my mobile is 0828016837.
Regards ECT

:S I know exactly what you are talking about. The War Graves and Concentration Camp graves in the Old Klerksdorp Cemetery used to be extremely derelict and overgrown and the iron crosses on the soldiers' graves were all gone (sold to unscrupelous scrap metal dealers). However, earlier this year the Imperial War Graves Commission realy put in a huge effort and the War Graves were cleaned, restored and fenced off. They now look very neat indeed.

In the past few weeks the National Heritage Foundation working under the auspices of the Voortrekker Monument and the SA Heritage Resources Agency have been busy cleaning up and restoring the Concentration Camp Graveyard. The person you could contact in this regard is Eddie Button (Tel. 072 057-0946)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSburgher

Re: Free State burghers in the British Colonial Forces 12 years 5 months ago #1433

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45

FSburgher wrote: Hi Mark,
How sure are you of the facts surrounding Alfred Whitfield's BW record?

I have still to find a medal roll or attestation record for the Kroonstad Scouts.
Was Alfred ever recruited into the service of the Vrystaat Republiek? proof please.

The story of burning of the farm house at "Matjespan" is a family legend.I understand that orders from a Komm. Kloppers from the W. Transvaal is given as the reason for the burning, but that is speculation. War in any form is terrible & devilish, without sense,so who knows the reason exactly?.
If you have proof other than the story in publication "Country Life" I'd like to have a copy.

David W. was in Kimberley at the time of the seige and his brother Charlie W. was in Mafeking in that seige.
Do you have access to the booklet "Vicissitudes of a Transvaal dorp" =Klerksdorp written in 1901 by H.M.Guest.
Many other interesting stories in the booklet may be of interest to you.

Regards ECT

Hello Evyn,

Apologies for the late reply. I was abroad all of last week and only returned last night. I have no knowledge of Alfred Whitfield's BW service other than what I've read in the County Life article.

No, I've not read "Vicissitudes of a Transvaal dorp." It sounds a most interesting read. All the best with your research and I would be most interested in hearing more on Alfred Whitfield's life.

Cheers,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.984 seconds