• Page:

TOPIC:

Hi 12 years 5 months ago #1274

• dforbes
  • dforbes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My interest in this site relates to my grandfather's service in South Africa in the Boer War. He was a doctor and the little information I have indicates that he was a Medical Officer to the Burgher Camps and was a Civil Surgeon in the South African Field Force. He apparently received a medal with 4 clasps. I do not have any information on which medal he received or where he might have seen action to receive clasps.
His name was John Forbes and he does not appear to be on the list of names in this site.

I have only just joined, so I have not had time to explore this site to any extent, so forgive me if I am asking for information that is easily found. I would like to know more about the Burgher Camps. I do know my grandfather ended up in Frankfort in what was the Orange Free State, which is where my father was born.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hi 12 years 5 months ago #1277

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi, there's a civil surgeon by that name listed on the Queen South Africa medal roll (WO 100/226) with Cape Colony and Orange Free State clasps listed, and dated September 1901, Bloemfontein, No. 9 General Hospital.

Then on WO 100/226 dated 9-6-04, Aberfeldy, there is an issue of Transvaal, SA 1901 & SA 1902 clasps to Civil Surgeon John Forbes.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Hi 12 years 5 months ago #1278

• dforbes
  • dforbes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Mark,

Thank you very much indeed on getting me information so quickly. Another question - what does WO 100-226 refer to? My Grandfather graduated from medical school in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1900, so must have gone out to South Africa almost immediately.

Regards,

David

Re: Hi 12 years 5 months ago #1281

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45

dforbes wrote: Mark,

Thank you very much indeed on getting me information so quickly. Another question - what does WO 100-226 refer to? My Grandfather graduated from medical school in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1900, so must have gone out to South Africa almost immediately.

Regards,

David

David,

WO 100/226 is the reference to the file/box from the War Office Record Series at the National Archives. The WO 100 series are medal rolls 1793-1949. If you PM me your contact details I'll send you copies of the relevant pages from the roll.

Cheers,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds