Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Benjamin Stephen TOMLIN Trp 25947 Prince of Wales Light Horse 9 years 2 weeks ago #26740

• davidhall1001
  • davidhall1001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi I am new to the forum although I have recently used the web site to flesh out the service if my Gr.Gr. Grt Uncle B S TOMLIN would enlisted on 4th Jan 1901.

It appears he came to S. Africa with his brother in law John Henry WALE who also enlisted for 6 months.

I am hoping someone can explain how 2 men in their early twenties from rural Leicestershire Uk could have answered the call to enlist in a South Africa raised regiment how they would have travelled to Capetown and any other details leading up to there enlistment together with details of typical service, duties and pay etc..

Additionally how can i obtain a copy of his attestation form

Many thanks in anticipation

David Hall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Benjamin Stephen TOMLIN Trp 25947 Prince of Wales Light Horse 9 years 2 weeks ago #26741

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Hi David and welcome.

Some of the regiments recruited in the UK so I imagine they would have arranged the transportation to South Africa, no doubt on board one of the many transport ships that supported the war.

I will see if I can find the service details for the PoWLH.

If his attestation papers have survived, they are available at the National Archives or possibly and if so, for a fee, from FindMyPast.

The attestation papers for the POWLH are in WO126/101-126.

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidhall1001

Benjamin Stephen TOMLIN Trp 25947 Prince of Wales Light Horse 9 years 2 weeks ago #26754

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite normal, a great many members of the SAMIF came from Great Britain and indeed, from across the whole empire.
The Prince of Wales Light Horse was raised as an anti commando unit in Cape town on the 18th of January 1901, by Army Order 267, standard enlistment was for six months and the pay was set at normal Class C rates.
It's members had a most frustrating time on the veldt, for the most part, chasing a certain Christiaan De Wet, before the regiment was, for official purpose, disbanded at Middleburg on new years eve the same year, however this is rather at odds with a few of it's members actually receiving the King's medal and clasps, though these, of course, were very few indeed.
Surviving rank and file papers are available whilst at Kew.

davidhall1001 wrote: Hi I am new to the forum although I have recently used the web site to flesh out the service if my Gr.Gr. Grt Uncle B S TOMLIN would enlisted on 4th Jan 1901.

It appears he came to S. Africa with his brother in law John Henry WALE who also enlisted for 6 months.

I am hoping someone can explain how 2 men in their early twenties from rural Leicestershire Uk could have answered the call to enlist in a South Africa raised regiment how they would have travelled to Capetown and any other details leading up to there enlistment together with details of typical service, duties and pay etc..

Additionally how can i obtain a copy of his attestation form

Many thanks in anticipation

David Hall

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, davidhall1001

Benjamin Stephen TOMLIN Trp 25947 Prince of Wales Light Horse 9 years 2 weeks ago #26768

• davidhall1001
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you

Looks like I will be visiting Kew .

What was the class C rate i am unable to locate it on net for this time

Regards

David Hall

Benjamin Stephen TOMLIN Trp 25947 Prince of Wales Light Horse 9 years 2 weeks ago #26769

• davidhall1001
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks djb

i have copies of pages of enlistment and discharge from site records are there other service details available?

regards

David Hall

Benjamin Stephen TOMLIN Trp 25947 Prince of Wales Light Horse 9 years 2 weeks ago #26770

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
If Tomlin's papers have survived they will be in WO126/101-104 and WO126/130-138, a Trooper in both the "South African Welsh" and the South African Light Horse earned five shillings each day, usually the hard way!
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidhall1001

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds