TOPIC:

Gnr Daniel McKenzie - Family Research 9 years 3 months ago #25326

• linhudson
  • linhudson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
New to the forum, doing my family research and found that my Great Grandfather served in the Artillery no. 78761 . He had serves before in India, from 1890 to 97 and then transferred to the reserve until called up to rejoin the Artillery with the 65th battery for the duration of the Boer war. I don't have his medals, but I know he was entitled to QSA 4 bars ans KSA 2 bars, it would be nice to see if anyone has his medals in their collections. Any information about his time in India would also be welcome as we are going on holiday to India in April and intend to visit the town of Jalundar where he was based.He was demobbed in JULY 1902. I have a copy of his service record but it is quite scant in detail,would like to know more about his time in SA or India.
Regards
Lin Hudson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gnr Daniel McKenzie - Family Research 9 years 3 months ago #25328

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I don't know about scant, his papers are very typical, I like the fact he had his initials on his arm, he did not serve in India actually on campaign, but, merely as part of the imperial garrison, life was often uncomfortable and very mundane indeed, all the more so with a sprained ankle! :(
Good luck with those medals.

linhudson wrote: Hi
New to the forum, doing my family research and found that my Great Grandfather served in the Artillery no. 78761 . He had serves before in India, from 1890 to 97 and then transferred to the reserve until called up to rejoin the Artillery with the 65th battery for the duration of the Boer war. I don't have his medals, but I know he was entitled to QSA 4 bars ans KSA 2 bars, it would be nice to see if anyone has his medals in their collections. Any information about his time in India would also be welcome as we are going on holiday to India in April and intend to visit the town of Jalundar where he was based.He was demobbed in JULY 1902. I have a copy of his service record but it is quite scant in detail,would like to know more about his time in SA or India.
Regards
Lin Hudson

Gnr Daniel McKenzie - Family Research 9 years 3 months ago #25329

• linhudson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for a quick response, so not entitled to India Medal then? What battery was he in whilst in India, couldn't quite make out the writing on his record.
Regards
Lin

Gnr Daniel McKenzie - Family Research 9 years 3 months ago #25330

• Frank Kelley
He served with the 21st in India, from memory, their home station was at Ballery at that point in time.

Gnr Daniel McKenzie - Family Research 9 years 3 months ago #25334

• linhudson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Just checked the service record, didn't notice it before, hard to see in a photocopy, thought he was in 65th all his service. Need to check location of 21st in India between 1891 and 1897. Maybe he was in a campaign with 21st rather than just on garrison duties.
Lin

Gnr Daniel McKenzie - Family Research 9 years 3 months ago #25336

• Frank Kelley
When artillery were deployed on the sub continent actually on campaign in the period in question here, it tended to be Mountain Batteries of both the British and Indian armies, along with the odd Rocket Battery, simply because of the nature of the fighting, rather than Field and Horse Batteries, who would certainly have struggled in certain places.
The members of these corps received the India General Service or India Medals, depending on which campaigns they were involved in and have entries in WO100.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds