TOPIC:

Family Search 9 years 3 months ago #24758

• Percyjnr
  • Percyjnr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank You Frank Kelley.

Though I am very disappointed at this, it goes to show that sometimes family lore is just that lore.
But again, according to the 1881 Census, it shows that he engaged in an infantry no?
If this is the case, how can I go about and obtain some more info regarding his and the regiment's movements?
And another query please if you do not mind, if there were two Boer Wars, could it be that just maybe he served in one of them?

Regards

percy jnr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Family Search 9 years 3 months ago #24761

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Percy

Check out the military records on Findmypast.co.uk, if you search for "Eugene Cartwright" there is a page from the Chelsea Pensioners discharge documents 1760-1887 (WO121) which shows 2208 Sgt Eugene Cartwright 1st bn Yorkshire Rgt (formerly 19th Ft) enlisted 31-12-1880 discharge by purchase 30-12-1887 on payment of £11 at Cairo.

He may have served in the Second Anglo-Boer War, but with another unit.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Percyjnr

Family Search 9 years 3 months ago #24764

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Percy,
Yes, he served in the old 19th, the famous "Green Howards" who have a good museum here, but, as already mentioned, they not did serve in the Transvaal War, they were involved on the North West Frontier and did see service in the Anglo Boer War, any one of the many regimental histories will answer any questions you might have.
I think that he is unlikely to have served in the Anglo Boer War, however, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.
Kind regards Frank

Percyjnr wrote: Thank You Frank Kelley.

Though I am very disappointed at this, it goes to show that sometimes family lore is just that lore.
But again, according to the 1881 Census, it shows that he engaged in an infantry no?
If this is the case, how can I go about and obtain some more info regarding his and the regiment's movements?
And another query please if you do not mind, if there were two Boer Wars, could it be that just maybe he served in one of them?

Regards

percy jnr

Family Search 9 years 3 months ago #24778

• Percyjnr
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank Kelley,

My Uncle told me that Eugene, received some kind of injuries in some kind of warfare...as you said it could be in the Northwest Frontier.

My uncle also said that by using a Clause 664b (whatever this is) so he he be boarded out, if fact my uncle added that then the Army found him a job as an Excise Officer. This last line maybe collaborates what Meurig said down below.

Question: Did Clause 664b ever existed? And when we say "Northwest Frontier" which part of country we are talking about?

Regards and thanks again

percy jnr

Family Search 9 years 3 months ago #24781

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Percy,
Sadly, when I looked at the available folio for his papers, I could not find them so without being able to look at them, I really am unable to comment on his specific service details.
The Green Howards served out on the North West Frontier of India in the Tirah campaign before the Anglo Boer War, but, clearly, he did not serve with them as he had already been discharged, in fact, from memory, the old 19th had also served out there on one of the Black Mountain expeditions in the 1860's, but, again, he obviously was not serving with them at that point either.
Regards Frank

Family Search 9 years 3 months ago #25026

• Percyjnr
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank,

Thank you again for your response.

Sorry for being late in replying. And so, the search goes on.

Just a a reminder, that clause I mentioned 664b, do you know anything about it?

Or have you heard anything about it or similar to it?

Regards

Percy Jnr

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds