TOPIC:

Charles Thorold from Manchester 9 years 4 months ago #24685

• John Boje
  • John Boje's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everybody

My area of interest and limited expertise is the Winburg district of the Free State.

My grandmother was in the Winburg camp where she adopted an orphaned girl. When the chid, Louise Josephine Boje, grew up, she married an ex-Tommy, Charles Steven Soulby Thorold, born 26 May 1881) from Manchester. They lived in Vereeniging, but sadly I never met them.

I should be most grateful for any information relating to my British uncle's military career.

John Boje.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Thorold from Manchester 9 years 4 months ago #24700

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello John,

And a warm welcome.
Found a Charles.S.Thorold in the 1901 Census B.1882 Moss Side Chorlton Lancs
The search did not list any military service, do you know his Regiment and service No.

Paul :)

John Boje wrote: Hi Everybody

My area of interest and limited expertise is the Winburg district of the Free State.

My grandmother was in the Winburg camp where she adopted an orphaned girl. When the chid, Louise Josephine Boje, grew up, she married an ex-Tommy, Charles Steven Soulby Thorold, born 26 May 1881) from Manchester. They lived in Vereeniging, but sadly I never met them.

I should be most grateful for any information relating to my British uncle's military career.

John Boje.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Charles Thorold from Manchester 9 years 4 months ago #24709

• John Boje
  • John Boje's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the welcome, Paul, and for the information.
If my date of birth is correct, the Charles Thorold I'm looking for would have been about 20 in 1901, though I'm surprised to find him in England and not in South Africa.
I don't know the regiment but I believe the 2nd Manchester Regiment saw service in Winburg - which would tie in with my information.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds