Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Looking for info on 35th coy Middlesex Yeomanry - excellent photo to share 9 years 4 months ago #23787

• Tim.Dawson
  • Tim.Dawson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Dear All, I came to the site whilst looking up my wife's great-grandfather Herbert Bindon of the 35th company 11th Battalion Middlesex Yeomanry. I have his two attestation papers from Jan 1900 (when he was 16!) and from Dec 1901. The latter leads me to believe he could not have been involved in the embarrassing reverse at Groenkop on 25th Dec 1901 if he was signing a form in London earlier in the month. Does anyone have any ideas how I might find out more? Herbert went on to serve in WW1 being wounded at Gallipoli. One of his sons is still with us and very interested to discover more and has shared the attached photo. Herbert is second from the left end of the back row. I hope you find it interesting.
All the best,
Tim.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for info on 35th coy Middlesex Yeomanry - excellent photo to share 9 years 4 months ago #23796

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Tim,

That's a great picture. Many thanks for posting it. And welcome to the forum too!

You could perhaps check the shipping records to see when the 35th Company was on the move.

Does anyone know of any histories of the 35th Co?
Dr David Biggins

Looking for info on 35th coy Middlesex Yeomanry - excellent photo to share 3 years 2 months ago #74449

• BerkshireT
  • Thank you received: 9
My golly this post is 6 years old so not sure the reply will get to Tim Dawson? By coincidence I knew a Timithy Dawson in Torquay back in 1970's!
Anyway I found this blog while searching for 35th Coy info and thought I would reply.

I have an interest in Middlesex Yeomanry and the nearest Book for 35th Coy I.Y. which I know is "The Story of the 34th Company (Middlesex) by William Conner, published in 1902. 34th Coy are the 'sister company in 11th Bn'.
They left on 27th Feb 1900 from Liverpool Docks and Embarked on SS Cymric. This book is the most comprehensive I.Y. history I have read and 530 pages with photos. Many of the contingents have no history at all so the best you can find is to another Coy in same Battalion? At least this is what I have found in the 6 years I have had an interest, but I dont have the knowledge or libruary I expect some more mature collectors enjoy.
Wayne

Regarding Herbert Bindon - its very unusual to have a 16 year old serve in the Imperial Yeomanry as 19 years was the lower age and unlike WW1 were it was fairly common to have 'boy soldiers' enlisted I believe it was most unisual for it to happen in the Anglo Boer War? There was a high turnover of Yeomanry due to sickness and by December the companies had reduced from 115 men per company to typically 60 men. This was mostly due to sickness, injury and a smaller number due to enemy action. There was no system for replacements for the I.Y. Companies and the commitment as for 12 months overseas (although its not uusal for 18 month tours). As South Africa is so large and the I.Y. covered some 3,000 to 5,000 miles over their tour by train and saddle it would have been difficult for replacements to find a unit which was moving around and the reason replacements were not made.
So 12 months into a tour the remaining Coy were hard worked as units were 50% strong and doing the work needed by a full Company. Tough work indeed and while the Regual British army did not speak highly of the Yeomanry they certainly earned some respect between 1900-1902.

The 4-6 page enlistment - Service record docs should give a clue as they include 'days served as well as departure date and days away.There was a 1st Contingent around Feb 1900 to July 1901 followed by a second contingent around July 1901 to July 1902. A third contingent was formed but very few left as the war ended.
Some Yeomanry served through 1900 to 1903 but not many. Some who returned early from 1st contingent enlisted a second time to go back as the money and adventure was rewarding. A fair few remained in South Africa after fighting had ended as the rewards were more attractive than their hard life in England.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds